StopTech Street Performance brake pads review PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note - I’m putting the term “review” in the title because I’ll be updating this thread in the future and it will be easier for people to find this way. This post will focus on the installation and my first impressions.

I recently picked up a semi-beater NB Miata for cheap as a car to have fun with. It has needed a decent amount of repairs and maintenance, as it was owned by a person who was not knowledgeable about cars.
c10ee2b7-c731-42cb-bf54-5a50e3684b2d_zpsb882f65f.jpg

It needed a set of brake pads and after doing some research I settled on StopTech Street Performance pads. I was also considering Hawk HPS pads. I decided to go with the StopTechs because they were cheaper and I have never used Centric products before, so I wanted to give them a shot.

The old pads
The old pads didn’t work great. The fronts were mostly worn. The rears were unevenly worn. It turns out there was a sticking caliper pin on the rear leading one side to wear more quickly than the other.

I was able to get some info off the old pads to learn a little about them.

For those who don’t know, the AMECA has lists of brake pad edge codes available. If you’re looking at a store-brand pad or otherwise want to know more about a pad, googling the number will normally take you to one of their documents, which list the manufacturers.

The old rear pads have the code MAC 1001 FF. The "MAC" indicates it’s some kind of Bosch pad.

The front pads weren't as readable, but I was able to get the manufacturer code TQ and the friction rating, FF. "TQ" means these were made by Federal Mogul. I believe the "TQ" code, and the grey paint on the backing plates, indicates the fronts are Wagner Thermo Quiets.
Oldpads-1200_zpsb03a575f.jpg

Out of the box
I did a little googling before buying these and couldn’t find any answers about where they are made. I was too lazy to contact the company and ask so I just went ahead and bought them.

Both sets are made in Taiwan. That wouldn’t be my first choice, but as a country of origin enthusiast I strongly prefer Taiwan over China.
DSC_0193-1200_zps605aae8e.jpg

DSC_0210-1200_zps6822ebf4.jpg

The pads come with no hardware except the shims. In fact, they come with nothing at all in the box except the pads themselves. No instructions or anything.
DSC_0215-1200_zps08a70657.jpg

The front pads are FF rated and the rear pads are GF rated.
DSC_0218-1200_zps93da36bd.jpg

DSC_0229-1200_zps264773f5.jpg

Installation went fine. Nothing surprising. The pads fit well and I didn’t have to file the pad ears to make them fit. I also did a full brake flush while I was working on it.

Initial driving impressions
I took the car out today and bedded-in the pads. The pedal firmed up nicely and after only about five rounds of deceleration the pads were working fine. I take a not-super-aggressive stance on bedding pads after overheating a set of pads once during an aggressive break-in. It seems these pads responded well to my normal bedding procedure.

My initial impression is that they have a good amount of bite, definitely more than what was on the car before. I was disappointed in the brakes before. The brakes are already behaving much more as I expected when buying this car.

Stopping with these pads so far is a very smooth and they respond well to pedal modulation.

So far I have no noise or other symptoms of trouble.

I’ll update this as I get more miles on the pads.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Some of your pics were already deleted, that was fast.

Hmmm...they all appear fine on my end.

Because of this forum's stupidly short editing time there's really nothing I can do to fix it, if there is in fact an issue.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Note - I’m putting the term “review” in the title because I’ll be updating this thread in the future and it will be easier for people to find this way. This post will focus on the installation and my first impressions.

I recently picked up a semi-beater NB Miata for cheap as a car to have fun with. It has needed a decent amount of repairs and maintenance, as it was owned by a person who was not knowledgeable about cars.
c10ee2b7-c731-42cb-bf54-5a50e3684b2d_zpsb882f65f.jpg

It needed a set of brake pads and after doing some research I settled on StopTech Street Performance pads. I was also considering Hawk HPS pads. I decided to go with the StopTechs because they were cheaper and I have never used Centric products before, so I wanted to give them a shot.

The old pads
The old pads didn’t work great. The fronts were mostly worn. The rears were unevenly worn. It turns out there was a sticking caliper pin on the rear leading one side to wear more quickly than the other.

I was able to get some info off the old pads to learn a little about them.

For those who don’t know, the AMECA has lists of brake pad edge codes available. If you’re looking at a store-brand pad or otherwise want to know more about a pad, googling the number will normally take you to one of their documents, which list the manufacturers.

The old rear pads have the code MAC 1001 FF. The "MAC" indicates it’s some kind of Bosch pad.

The front pads weren't as readable, but I was able to get the manufacturer code TQ and the friction rating, FF. "TQ" means these were made by Federal Mogul. I believe the "TQ" code, and the grey paint on the backing plates, indicates the fronts are Wagner Thermo Quiets.

Out of the box
I did a little googling before buying these and couldn’t find any answers about where they are made. I was too lazy to contact the company and ask so I just went ahead and bought them.

Both sets are made in Taiwan. That wouldn’t be my first choice, but as a country of origin enthusiast I strongly prefer Taiwan over China.
DSC_0193-1200_zps605aae8e.jpg

DSC_0210-1200_zps6822ebf4.jpg

The pads come with no hardware except the shims. In fact, they come with nothing at all in the box except the pads themselves. No instructions or anything.
DSC_0215-1200_zps08a70657.jpg

The front pads are FF rated and the rear pads are GF rated.
DSC_0218-1200_zps93da36bd.jpg

DSC_0229-1200_zps264773f5.jpg

Installation went fine. Nothing surprising. The pads fit well and I didn’t have to file the pad ears to make them fit. I also did a full brake flush while I was working on it.

Initial driving impressions
I took the car out today and bedded-in the pads. The pedal firmed up nicely and after only about five rounds of deceleration the pads were working fine. I take a not-super-aggressive stance on bedding pads after overheating a set of pads once during an aggressive break-in. It seems these pads responded well to my normal bedding procedure.

My initial impression is that they have a good amount of bite, definitely more than what was on the car before. I was disappointed in the brakes before. The brakes are already behaving much more as I expected when buying this car.

Stopping with these pads so far is a very smooth and they respond well to pedal modulation.

So far I have no noise or other symptoms of trouble.

I’ll update this as I get more miles on the pads.

One would hope that even cheap pads would stop better than worn out pads with a sticky caliper pin.

That car does not even look like a semi-beater. You and I have different definitions for a beater or semi beater. That paint makes her look like a beauty to me.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
That car does not even look like a semi-beater. You and I have different definitions for a beater or semi beater. That paint makes her look like a beauty to me.

Well, I'll admit it looks pretty decent in a small, low-res pic. Up close you'd see the hail damage and other things that may change your mind.

It also has some other mechanical issues I need to track down.

=================================================

It's not clear to me if people can or cannot see all the pics. I guess I'll include them again here to see if that fixes it.

Old pads

New pads
DSC_0193-1200_zpsf8d5fb15.jpg

DSC_0210-1200_zpsafcc3e69.jpg

DSC_0215-1200_zps944c680d.jpg

DSC_0218-1200_zps51518460.jpg

DSC_0229-1200_zpsaf8f1ac1.jpg

Great choice of pad. ST is a unique proprietary formula that blends performance with civility better than most.

One of the best pad formulas ever sold IMO for a performance car or a demanding driver...

I've got these in two of my cars now. I have one complaint that is common in both of them, they are grabby at low speeds and stop with a jolt and groan if I am moving at low speed with my foot on the brake. At speeds above 2mph they are great. I like them well enough that this is the second time I have run them in both vehicles. I thought maybe different rotors would behave differently. Previously I was using EBC rotors in both cars and thought that might be contributing to the issue. Now I am running DBA on one car and OE rotors on the other.

In the next couple weeks I am changing one of the cars back to new EBC rotors and Bluestuff NDX pads, which I have run before without the jolt and groan (3 times so far). The rears are down to just a couple mm of material and the fronts are thin - I got about 20k out of them - which is about normal for me with any performance pad.

These pads are the least expensive pad I have ever run - they are definitely a great performer for 1/4 the price of many pads I have run.

My one complaint with the EBC Blue pads is that there is little area between beginning to fade and no stopping - still with a firm pedal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I've got these in two of my cars now. I have one complaint that is common in both of them, they are grabby at low speeds and stop with a jolt and groan if I am moving at low speed with my foot on the brake. At speeds above 2mph they are great.

Interesting points. I haven't noticed this so far, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for this issue.

If these were purchased online, who was your online retailer of choice? This will be my next set to try out.

Originally Posted By: kgb007stb
If these were purchased online, who was your online retailer of choice? This will be my next set to try out.

The best price I found was on Rock Auto.

I don't know your application, but check all the normal places like Amazon, RA and whatever other sites you normally use. RA was the best price for me this time.

Hmm, I can get these for the Corvette front calipers, but not for the rear CV calipers. I can get their Fleet performance pad for the rear, but not for the front. Just going by their little graph, the Fleet perf gives up some noise abatement for better wear, but is otherwise the same.
Wonder if I should do it that way, then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Great choice of pad. ST is a unique proprietary formula that blends performance with civility better than most.

One of the best pad formulas ever sold IMO for a performance car or a demanding driver...

Do you feel that they out-perform the Hawk HP/HP+es in this respect?
How about the Carbotech Panthers?

I am asking this for real, NOT being sarcastic, hoping that you've maybe used some of these in the past.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I am asking this for real, NOT being sarcastic, hoping that you've maybe used some of these in the past.
wink.gif

No Carbotechs, but I have run hawks.

IMO Stoptech is the most civil track ready pad I have ever run. My car has 4 piston Brembos and 14 inch rotors on every wheel, so my brakes are cold as a rock in normal street driving. This leads many pad formulas to SQUEAL like crazy. Not ST.

Call my buddy Dave Z at Zeckhausen Racing. He works closely with ST to develop braking systems and is very knowledgeable...

I ran these on my old STi, and I didn't like them to the point that I swapped my OEM pads back in. It was the relative lack of bite that I didn't like. I couldn't tell you how they compare to a car that isn't as performance oriented as an STi though.

About the StopTech pads, what's the expected lifespan?

My GTI's OEM pads have kept me plenty happy, but I'm debating what I'll be going with next. If I knew the StopTechs provided a bit more bite at 90% of the life of the OEM pads without significant dusting, I'd consider them.

wink.gif

IMO Stoptech is the most civil track ready pad I have ever run. My car has 4 piston Brembos and 14 inch rotors on every wheel, so my brakes are cold as a rock in normal street driving. This leads many pad formulas to SQUEAL like crazy. Not ST.

Call my buddy Dave Z at Zeckhausen Racing. He works closely with ST to develop braking systems and is very knowledgeable...

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I will probably try them next instead of the HP+es, which YES, do make all kinds of noise on less than full pedal force stops/brake applications.

I was thinking about either a Wilwood, or Stop Tech full front brake upgrade anyway, but have to find some 17" or 18" wheels/tires to use with them.
frown.gif

wink.gif

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I will probably try them next instead of the HP+es, which YES, do make all kinds of noise on less than full pedal force stops/brake applications.

I was thinking about either a Wilwood, or Stop Tech full front brake upgrade anyway, but have to find some 17" or 18" wheels/tires to use with them.
frown.gif

I put a set of Stoptech Street Performance pads on the rear of my Camaro a few months ago, and I like them a lot. They are quiet and smooth in street driving and give linear deceleration with increasing pedal force. I even ran them in a couple of track days at NCM back in October, and got fade-free performance. Granted, they are on the rear, but they did better than Hawk HP+ pads that I ran years ago. I think the ST's are a good performance pad for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back