Stihl 011 AV questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Stihl 011 AV chainsaw and case for $75.
Craigslist Black Friday special!

Runs well, just idles a little fast when tested before purchase.
I'm sure will be an easy fix with a screwdriver adjustment on carb.
IMG_06281.jpg

IMG_06271.jpg

I plan on running Amsoil interceptor 50:1

For bar oil I got some Cam2 from Menard's for $4.99 a gallon?

2615971.jpg

SUS at 100F is 750
Pour point -10 might not be the best for cutting in freezing weather. Not that I plan on doing that.

Anyone used this stuff?
Does bar oil really matter?

Owners manual says in a pinch anything from SAE 30 to SAE 10 can be used depending on ambient temps when cutting.

Anything special stuff I need to know about this saw?

Last edited:
Nice find! Looks like a fun unit.

As for bar oil, some say you can use anything from used motor oil to ATF. Bar oil is cheap and you can really tell the difference from any other oil. It really sticks, which is what you want in a total loss system. Its cheap, around here its as cheap if not cheaper than any conventional motor oil or atf.

Use a season appropriate oil though, the stuff gets real thick and stringy when cold. It can also overload the oil pump and cause damage.

I am not sure on the file size but if you cant get anything close then look at another loop of chain, they are cheap and you can get what you want.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Apparently the chain needs a 3.5mm file which is a bit rare.
Can I use a 5/32 file?

5/32 x 2,54= 0,396875cm....4mm

1" (inch) is cca 2,54cm...

The answer is NO...you need smaller file:)

Last edited:
Nice saw. I agree on the seasonal chain oil. Summer, run the thick stuff. Winter, run the thin. Dry old logs, use an oil can and squirt the chain with extra lube while cutting. Dry oily/pitchy timber or creosote use a LOT of kerosene to keep the cut wet.

Me, I run all my 2-strokes at 32 0r 40 to 1. But lots of my buds run 50:1. I make my own 2-stroke oil blend out of Motul 710 or 800 and Pennzoil 2T oil. But I run the motors hard and have mod'd exhaust, etc. So I need the extra lube, plus I like blue smoke
laugh.gif

I have that saw. I bought it new in 1985. It was a great saw. Unfortunately I let the fuel/oil mixture sit and mess up the carb. Reviving it is one of my "future" to do projects. I always used Stihl chains and their file. Their chains last a long time.

Whimsey

I just cleaned the carb last night to fix the idle issue.
The low speed jet was partially clogged.
I use a bristle from a BBQ brush to poke through the holes.

It seems as though the saw Is leaking some oil from the bar oil hole to bar connection. Not sure what can be done about that

Last edited:
For the oil leak. My new Husky leaks oil and I hear most do. Its not brand dependant. Some say there is a two piece connection between the oil pickup and pump that leaks or perhaps the pump just leaks oil past. Its annoying but normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back