Sticker shock: $1,120 oil pan for 2005 GMC C6500

I was doing some bookkeeping for my son's small business, and I reviewed a repair invoice by a GMC heavy duty truck dealer in PA for this particular truck. The charge just for the part was $1,120. Apparently it's made of stainless steel and it also fits certain CAT engines. But $1,120 for an oil pan for a medium sized truck?

It’s two things 1 the truck is no longer made the truck is 19 years old. 2 inflation parts cost more than 20 years ago.

I don't know people afford to fix diesels. I watched a video the other day on a 2014 F350. It's powerstroke needed a CP4(?) pump and all the work associated with that. It was over $10K for that repair and the truck needed much more. This appeared to be a daily driver type vehicle. Not a money making truck.

I don't know people afford to fix diesels. I watched a video the other day on a 2014 F350. It's powerstroke needed a CP4(?) pump and all the work associated with that. It was over $10K for that repair and the truck needed much more. This appeared to be a daily driver type vehicle. Not a money making truck.
That's why I unloaded my '06 Cummins Ram-starting to rust in weird, hard to repair places & the CP3 was getting weak (somewhat hard start after sitting overnight). I didn't need big $ headaches when a $6500 Express 3500 could basically do the same jobs, just as well, for a little more gas.

I have seen similar thing to happen in Finland for older cars:
- Toyota Corolla, 2005, new Toyota radio from the dealer 1200€, used from the junk yard 200€
- Nissan Primera, 2006, new Nissan PCV valve from the dealer 90€, used from the junk yard 10€.

My theory for these insane prices is that maybe EU mandates the dealers to keep OEM parts available for consumers for example for 20 years. And as the parts become rare for obsolete cars, the dealer sets prices so high that they can be sure that the last few parts stays on their shelves until that mandated 20 year is reached. I call them ”intended no sale prices”, and all of a sudden those high prices do make a lot of sense.

- Toyota Corolla, 2005, new Toyota radio from the dealer 1200€, used from the junk yard 200€
- Nissan Primera, 2006, new Nissan PCV valve from the dealer 90€, used from the junk yard 10€.

My theory for these insane prices is that maybe EU mandates the dealers to keep OEM parts available for consumers for example for 20 years. And as the parts become rare for obsolete cars, the dealer sets prices so high that they can be sure that the last few parts stays on their shelves until that mandated 20 year is reached. I call them ”intended no sale prices”, and all of a sudden those high prices do make a lot of sense.
Doing Ford parts we have a theory that the pricing goes up drastically right as they are going to be made obsolete. Then Ford dumps all the on hand inventory to someone who specializes in having parts on the shelf collecting dust.

In the usa manufacturers are required to offer parts for ten years. Some manufacturers are significantly better than others. Mercedes still offers oem parts for many 60's, 70s, 80s and on up. My 2005 Dodge Neon has random parts no longer offered and a couple of the parts that are known issues are still ridiculously expensive. The shift solenoid which is a very common failure is still $300 for no apparent reason. The idle air control valve is also expensive.

In the usa manufacturers are required to offer parts for ten years. Some manufacturers are significantly better than others. Mercedes still offers oem parts for many 60's, 70s, 80s and on up. My 2005 Dodge Neon has random parts no longer offered and a couple of the parts that are known issues are still ridiculously expensive. The shift solenoid which is a very common failure is still $300 for no apparent reason. The idle air control valve is also expensive.
There is no 10 year requirement. That was an internal GM guideline that does not apply to other manufacturers.

Back