stick with 14" or move up to 16"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my '93 camry, everyday commuter, I need tires. it has the OEM size 195 70 14.
I was thinking to make it easier for tire selection to upgrade to 16". I can find factory 16" steel wheels from a later model camry.
for the slight cost increase, do you think this would be a good decision?

I got some 15" wheels for my 82 MB because of this.

There are still a few good 195/70-14 tires out there for now. So it depends upon how long you plan to keep the car.

I wouldnt go through the hassle if you are planning on just keeping it for a few more years - just get some cooper cs4 or yokohama or michelin harmony tires and all is great.

But if youre keeping the car for years and years, then go for it.

Why not just go 15's? Steelies are plentiful and you won't spend as much $$$ on tires. Good ride and you won't throw your speedo off.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What tire size were you thinking of running on these 16" rims? 205/55?

Is tire selection in size 195/70/14 really that bad?

no, there are still lots, but the cost is about the same as 16", give or take...
and I can't help but to always want to change things
smile.gif

I'll probably stay w/ 14", with 288K miles, can't really say how long it'll last, I feel like I'm on borrowed time already...

Originally Posted By: mpvue
What tire size were you thinking of running on these 16" rims? 205/55?

Is tire selection in size 195/70/14 really that bad?

no, there are still lots, but the cost is about the same as 16", give or take...
and I can't help but to always want to change things
smile.gif

I'll probably stay w/ 14", with 288K miles, can't really say how long it'll last, I feel like I'm on borrowed time already...

Yeah, in that case, I would go with minimum cost...buy a set of 14"s...they might just outlive the car!

You should check with the dealer because if a car has an ABS system it won't like a big move in wheel & tyre size. The inspection and insurance folks will also get interested if it is out of the manufacturers specifications.
Take a look at the owners manual as it will give a list of optional wheel and tyre sizes that are approved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
You should check with the dealer because if a car has an ABS system it won't like a big move in wheel & tyre size. The inspection and insurance folks will also get interested if it is out of the manufacturers specifications.
Take a look at the owners manual as it will give a list of optional wheel and tyre sizes that are approved.

you do know that when the rim diameter increases the tire sidewall height decreases?
stock 195 70 14 is the same overall diameter as 205 55 16; 24.2" compared to 24.9"

Originally Posted By: skyship
ABS only measures wheel to wheel speed differences. I put 15x7s on my Gen 4 Camry to replace the 14's and the car handles FAR better with 205-60-15s.

IN 2000, the Camry V6 got 16's and the I4 was upgraded to 15's. Great improvement which many of us with older cars had already accomplished. V6 Camrys of your generation came with 15's with the V6 option. A 205 65 15 ( the V6 size) is so close to a 195 70 14 in height there is no practical difference. You can fit bigger calipers and rotors on an I4 (Avalon fronts for example) if you switch to 15's at least.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
ABS only measures wheel to wheel speed differences.

To be fair, on some cars ABS sensors are also used to measure wheel speed in general (for all wheels) to determine low PSI condition (poor man's TPMS). So for example, if you mount tires/wheels that have a circumference notably smaller than OEM, your ABS will be going off thinking you're low on air. Such is the case in my 530i. Probably not the case in the OP's Camry though.

14" tires are going to be way cheaper than 16" rim tires, even if the outside diameter is the same. I have a car that came from the factory with 16" rims and I am planning on replacing those with 15" rims to be able to get less expensive tires, even though the actual tires I will be buying will be the same make and model, etc..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
14" tires are going to be way cheaper than 16" rim tires, even if the outside diameter is the same. I have a car that came from the factory with 16" rims and I am planning on replacing those with 15" rims to be able to get less expensive tires, even though the actual tires I will be buying will be the same make and model, etc..

+1
I highly doubt that 16" are almost the same price as 14", that's not the case in Canada at least.

Personally I like to stick with the smallest rim that can fit over the calipers. Part of it is because tires are cheaper and part of it is that for some reason I just hate the big wheel look with tiny brake discs and calipers inside them.

I'm in the 15 will be nice crowd. I peruse a used tire pile just to see how things are trending and 14s are really going out of fashion. If you buy new like normal people 15 should be within pennies of 14 and have more choices and probably fresher tires.

Is there a particular reason other than look? If you are looking for lower profile tire (usually higher performance) this switch will make sense, but if it is only for cost, usually smaller diameter tire with taller profile will be much cheaper than larger diameter tire with lower profile.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Is there a particular reason other than look?

Did you read his original post? He gave the reason in the third sentence:
Quote:
I was thinking to make it easier for tire selection

wink.gif

Quote:

wink.gif

I like the look too...
smile.gif

Quote:

wink.gif

I read it, but it doesn't seems like 195 70 14 lack selection as it is a common size.

Quote:

wink.gif

I read it, but it doesn't seems like 195 70 14 lack selection as it is a common size.

you're right, it's probably best I just stick with the 14".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back