Stick or Automatic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two sticks, one ECVT

No reason for anyone to learn to drive a stick unless they want to.

I think everyone should learn a musical instrument.

Fun car is manual and the rest are autos except the truck. The truck was priced right, so I am stuck with the 5 speed. Although with the 4 cylinder I think the auto would be horrendous.

What's a Spark? That's not a Fiat Pop 500 in a new rapper is it?
frown.gif

Auto. I don't want to deal with a stick in traffic, I drive way too much to deal with that nonsense.

Occasionally I drive the 70' Beetle to work. While it's a lot of fun, I'm done with it by the time I'm home.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
What's a Spark? That's not a Fiat Pop 500 in a new rapper is it?
frown.gif

Chevrolet Spark

I learned in a manual, and always buy a manual when there is a choice.

But suggesting that everyone should learn to shift a manual is absurd. It's pretty much like saying "everyone should learn to use dash-mounted mixture and spark advance controls", because those controls were once common.

There will be even less call for the skill as EVs become more common.

Corolla is a five spd manual the Duramax has the Allison. Nice having an auto when you're towing 14,000 lbs. Don't worry about down shifting on hills I have a B&D exhaust brake.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Its maddening that you can't get a lot of cars with a manual today. I had plans back at the end of 2015 to buy a VW with a diesel but could not get a new one with a manual as they were all sold out. I really like the manual in my Mazda 6 and I do like the manual in my truck. If I had a more powerful truck I would be ok with an automatic I think.
I was looking at a new Accent sport model, I wanted the rear disc brakes. But it only came with an auto. If I wanted the stick I had to get the base model with the clumsy drum rear brakes.

Yes it really makes me mad that if a manufacturer does offer a manual, they only offer it in a base model. I have said here before that I was frustrated with the lack of manuals today and the fact that i wanted a sunroof with a manual in my Mazda 6 but Mazda said no. They offer it in every country except the USA.

It all depends on where you drive and how much traffic ... I live in the country and insisted on sticks, until I had to start commuting through the SF Bay Area
frown.gif

I have a Class I and IF I ever got another truck and had to do ANY metro driving, it would have an Allison. Auto's all the way
smile.gif

Last edited:
I grew up on manual stick shift, lived out of town surrounded by 'twisty roads' that were fun to
drive on with a stick shift!

Then I got an automatic winter beater, so bored at first, I could hardly stay awake! Nothing to do!

Recently rented a car with 'sports shifter' + shift paddles on the steering wheel!! Why on a 4 door family sedan
with a 4 banger motor I'll never know! LOL

Pointless in the city, OK on the twisties in the country!

Standard trans all-the-way. I used to drive my Ford Ranger in NYC stop-and-go traffic regularly, and never had an issue.

Standard trans requires little maintenance, and is more reliable than today's fifty speed automatics (which, only God knows how much a rebuild costs). And I always choose a more appropriate gear for my driving than the car's computer.

Only negative: my Wife has a handicap and can't drive a manual trans, which limits us to one car.

Originally Posted By: unclescotty
3 pedals until i have only one leg

Roger that! Ladies at my work would veto a stick because, "Then I have to use both feet to drive".

I said to them, "I never noticed you complaining about the need to use both feet to walk".

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Quote:
Goes to shift and slams on the brakes, been there done that....

Ditto, I have disturbed oilBabe occasionally driving her car by going for the non-existing clutch pedal in her car.

As I have posted in other threads, I've come around to the opinion that a manual tends to be more entertaining when the car actually needs a manual gearbox. For example, my 318ti(with a Turner Motorsports Conforti chip) makes around 140 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. You simply must keep the engine wound tight to make anything close to rapid progress- and it's a whole lot of fun to drive it in that fashion. In contrast, my M235i makes 330 lb-ft of twist from 1400 to 4500 rpm; with such a flat torque curve there is almost always a ton of thrust available regardless of rpm and/or the gear selected. It's also nice to have a car that can convert from cruise mode to track toy mode with the press of a button. If I was buying an M2 or M3 I would definitely go with a manual every time, but in the less intense models an automatic transmission does not detract from my enjoyment of the car- but then at 60 years of age I'm fast approaching geezer status.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I dont know how to drive an automatic.

thumbsup2.gif
I don't know how to drive an auto either. Manuals all the way for me!

Manual for fun and track, auto for daily driver. Autos have improved tremendously since the powerglide. Change the fluid occasionally and they'll outlast everything but the engine

Die hard manual lover here. Both my cars are stick, and I would have it no other way. I have a 1999 Toyota Solara and 1991 Toyota Previa. My favorite reasons for owning stick are fun, control, and cost.

I will never get rid of my Previa. There just doesn’t exist a full size 7 seater vehicle with a stick today. I can drop the transmission in 3 hours on this van (love older cars, so easy to work on). I can replace all the clutch parts for $300 and get 150k miles out of it. I get to control the rpms at whatever speed I want, and I love double clutching and rev matching for the ultimate smooth shift. It’s rewarding, and that’s why I love it.

I too wish that more cars today were sold with stick. I would love to get a full cab truck with a stick, but they don’t make them anymore. The Tacoma only comes with stick and full cab if you go all out 4wd V6 for 36k. Yikes.

I will always try to buy manual, stop and go is just exercise for my left leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back