Stellantis brands Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and others are skipping Chicago Auto Show

I think there are 2 types of people who go to these car shows. People who are in the market for a new vehicle and need to compare, and auto enthusiasts who want to get up and personal with and drool all over the luxury and/or sports cars.

The market for both types of people have dwindled over the years. I think there is another thread talking about how there just aren't as many enthusiasts anymore, and for people in the market, vehicles are so similar between brands that it doesn't really even matter anymore which one that you choose.

These days it seems that the most popular vehicle is the small/medium 5 passenger suv. Strip off the badges and I would challenge anyone to tell them apart. Is there really anyone who wants to go to a place where 150 of these things are all plopped together into a big blob so that you can wander around and look at all of them? They're all reliable, they all have pretty much the same features, does it even matter which one you pick anymore?

...What is a Ford Bronco? I have not seen Jeep even address the competition.... which is eating their sales. Thankfully for Jeep, Ford is on a preorder basis..
Well the Bronco LOOKS great but, the better performance comes at a cost of complexity and expense if you keep it a long time…take a look under the hood of both….the Ecoboost in the Bronco is quite a bit more complex, so that extra power does not come with no strings attached.
In addition if you are actually going to take it off road & use it the way it is advertised bear in mind the low mounted alternator (Wranglers is way up on top) and IFS suspension; it will not flex like a live axle does. We have 3 Jeeps two have live axle front suspension & one has IFS so I am pretty familiar with this…the IFS seems to have less travel and will easily lift a wheel off the ground…

I'd say this is more of a statement on auto shows and the market than Stellantis, although their health may be driving some tough decisions. That said, the decision to forego any type marketing carries a lot of analysis behind it, betting the future to some extant, and folks determined it wasn't worth the investment.

Auto shows, new auto shows that is, just do not seem draw like they did. I was a die hard attendee at the one in Boston (the debut of the S2000 is burned in my memory), it was always a mob scene, and now I cannot even tell you the last time I saw or heard an ad for it, if it even exists.

I'd say the main reason is there is so much information available a few clicks away, that by the time someone is actually looking at an actual vehicle, they are already well down the decision path to the point of confirmation. Add to that the overall similarity of so many mass market cars, the cattle drive to EV's etc.

So if I am reading the press release correctly it seems that there doing this to save money.

I thought these car companies were all making money hand over fist being able to sell everything they can make without incentives - leading to dealer above MSRP market adjustments.

What am I missing?

So if I am reading the press release correctly it seems that there doing this to save money.

I thought these car companies were all making money hand over fist being able to sell everything they can make without incentives - leading to dealer above MSRP market adjustments.

What am I missing?

If selling everything they can make, why are any brands going? What a waste of money.

If you're a gamer or like video games, this might seem a bit familiar. E3 was a giant video game show that would showcase new upcoming games for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo every summer.

Over the years, less and less developers would attend to show off new games at E3. Eventually Nintendo dropped out of doing E3s and did their own "streams" of their new games at any time they wanted. Soon Sony and Microsoft followed suit.

This year, it was announced that E3 is officially and permanently dead.

At one point, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for these companies if the end result isn't more money via exposure. I bet you they will start holding their own preview and reveals at their own time/place. Much cheaper and more on brand.

I was told that the cost of setup and tear down at the show has become prohibitive. One rule is that no vendor is even allowed to plug a drop cord in, instead they have to hire a union electrician to plug or unplug a drop cord. The list of silliness went on and on.
That's true in big cities in the north.

I really like that 2.7 as well. The only criticism I've seen of this colorado and the 2.7 is that it doesn't seem to do well in offroad with 4x4 high. Something to do with when the torque comes in, I saw a review where they said they found themselves hitting 4 low far more often than in the previous truck (or other mid sizers) to make up for the low torque off the line.

Which is interesting because it makes so much more torque than any other midsizer at 430 lb/ft, but I guess timing/tuning is everything.

Truck King did the review I'm thinking of, they compared it to the new Taco which makes much less peak torque but feels stronger off the line despite that.

Really too bad GM didn't do a next gen 2.8 diesel for the mid sizers. I was hoping for one.
It's probably rough and luggy until the turbo spools. Putting it in low range will up the rpms and then you won't have to wait for the turbo to spool before you get your torque. High torque at low rpm when you floor it is great for pulling onto the highway and tow stuff, but when you're offroading you don't need much power. You need control so you aren't lurching over one rock and smacking your wheels into the next one

I was told that the cost of setup and tear down at the show has become prohibitive. One rule is that no vendor is even allowed to plug a drop cord in, instead they have to hire a union electrician to plug or unplug a drop cord. The list of silliness went on and on.
So you what goes on into other exhibit halls. Go to a major league baseball game and $5 bottle of water or $12+ beer. Oh my a union electrician they don't set all the rules management does. This is advertising nothing more. Companies put their money where they think it will do the most good for them.

Unfortunately Stellantis isn't doing that well at all these days. Their prime American brands (Ram/Jeep) have cratering sales. Dark days ahead for all mopar fans.
Not doing well? Everything I see on the road in my area are Ram trucks and 4-door Wranglers. People might not be buying them at the inflated prices, but that goes for pretty much everything these days. My local Ford dealer has all the same F-Series on the lot that they did when I drove by a month ago.

Last year I was bored and went to the DesMoines auto show. Yeah, they have one.

Seeing a Maverick in person was cool, but the classic car section was much more enjoyable. The lack of cars was amazing. There was only 1 Jeep, which was a 4xE. Chevy had a good showing, but I don’t think Toyota or Nissan were there. It took longer to drive there than walk the show.

People like to stay home these days, unless it’s an outdoor event.

Last year I was bored and went to the DesMoines auto show. Yeah, they have one.

Seeing a Maverick in person was cool, but the classic car section was much more enjoyable. The lack of cars was amazing. There was only 1 Jeep, which was a 4xE. Chevy had a good showing, but I don’t think Toyota or Nissan were there. It took longer to drive there than walk the show.

People like to stay home these days, unless it’s an outdoor event.
I think so to. The buzz is over regarding the big shows; everyone already know what is coming out this year and next.

Chrysler certainly sells every Wrangler as fast as they can build them; go around the block in any nice suburb and you'll see a dozen of them. Jeep used to have a really huge spread at the Chicago show; a giant indoor test track where you could drive all the new Jeeps up and down hills and through simulated rock crevices.... I never got to try it because the lines were always a mile long. But at some point they must've determined: why bother? People still buy them up like they're candy.

On another forum I read, they're discussing the annual NAMM show (National Association of Music Merchants if I'm not mistaken) and how so many manufacturers are skipping it this year, how much attendance has dropped, etc. Same stuff as here... Everyone already knows what the new stuff is and what it sounds like so they stay home vs. going to Las Vegas in January (and that's Las Vegas which is actually nice vs. Chicago in February). Same story as we're discussing here. It isn't 1965 any more and the heyday of the big shows is over.

Not doing well? Everything I see on the road in my area are Ram trucks and 4-door Wranglers. People might not be buying them at the inflated prices, but that goes for pretty much everything these days. My local Ford dealer has all the same F-Series on the lot that they did when I drove by a month ago.

Ram and Jeeps sales have been cratering across the board lately. GM and Fords numbers are increasing, Ram/Jeep are decreasing year over year. These numbers were just released by the various manufacturers, you can find them on a number of different channels, like Pickup Truck + SUV or Truck King etc.

Back