Stellantis brands Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and others are skipping Chicago Auto Show

The problem is that when FCA redesigned the 3.6L in 2017 and raised the compression ratio to 11:1, they did jack-all to use it. It was the same ECM tune running 87 octane. Really? Why not turbocharge it instead? My JL was heavily modified and was very capable, but the weak link was the engine. Supercharging is out there for it, but you have to be REALLY careful--it is already a static 11:1 so you can/will overpressure the cylinders.

Aside from the thousands I spent removing all of the stock garbage suspension and re-gearing it twice, I was willing to overlook that, but at 50K the plastic oil cooler starting leaking and I changed it at 70K. I changed it because I also noticed potassium rising in the UOAs and so I assumed that was part of the leaking. It was not--even after changing the oil cooler and running a few short OCIs, the potassium continued to rise and therefore it was either a partially blown head gasket or a cracked head/block. I suspect the latter and at that point, I cut my losses. I could have swapped in a hemi, but jeez man, I should not have to add a 5.7L or a 6.2L to get decent power. FCA is FAR BEHIND in engine design and according to the last epiphany they released, the 3.6L is the stalwart of the line and will remain.

Jeep sales have been declining and I would opine they will continue to do so. Too many quality issues for too much cost with too little innovation. Hard pass for me...
New vehicles are too fragile to realistically take off-road. Everyone I know who does actual wheeling (Moab, Rausch Creek, etc) have heavily modified older rigs (older Jeeps, Toyotas, or trucks) or tens of thousands dumped into newer Wranglers with the mods you mentioned. The other brands have the edge in engine technology, but the Wrangler is still the best platform as far as aftermarket support is concerned.

From the article: [Stellantis has pulled out of other shows].
[spokesman] expects Stellantis to return to auto shows next year “because the results of the show are too strong to our dealers.”
What does that mean?

When Jaguar announced they wouldn't exhibit at the NY show years ago, they cited the event generated no sales.
So much to know.

I "always thought" there was absolutely no connection between attending a car show and going to a dealership.
There is no coupon they could distribute which could guarantee a good deal at a dealership.
No representative at a car show can say, "Come to the dealership and I'll take care of you".
Ergo, car shows are just a "bunch of showrooms under one roof". While that's no a bad thing, it means little.

The article mentions that groups of Stellantis dealers could band together and buy space at the show. Again, do professional spokespersons staff these exhibits or are the salesmen pressed into service?
Separately owned dealerships cooperating on a sales floor? yeah, right.
We definitely pared back the range of minivans we were shopping when we could see them all in rapid succession without a salesman hassling us.

But that was the last time we went I think…

This summer will be 4 years for my Wrangler Rubicon - no issues …
I actually find it over geared for mud n sand and have no interest in rock crawling or the mods needed to do it properly …
Winch, 315’s, and headliner are it for mods …
Oh, I stripped out the lawn tractor battery and know how to kill ESS if I wanted to …

This summer will be 4 years for my Wrangler Rubicon - no issues …
I actually find it over geared for mud n sand and have no interest in rock crawling or the mods needed to do it properly …
Winch, 315’s, and headliner are it for mods …
Oh, I stripped out the lawn tractor battery and know how to kill ESS if I wanted to …
If you have the 3.6L watch your oil filter/cooler assembly for leaks as well as the PCV on the passenger rear head for leaks (which will ruin the O2 sensor).

Reactions: hrv
New vehicles are too fragile to realistically take off-road. Everyone I know who does actual wheeling (Moab, Rausch Creek, etc) have heavily modified older rigs (older Jeeps, Toyotas, or trucks) or tens of thousands dumped into newer Wranglers with the mods you mentioned. The other brands have the edge in engine technology, but the Wrangler is still the best platform as far as aftermarket support is concerned.
Yep; the Wrangler has been on the market so long, it cannot help but have good aftermarket support. The Bronco is starting to catch up there.

I think the Grand Cherokees are really nice, my dad is on his second WK2 Trailhawk 5.7L. With that said, they are laughably overconfident in their pricing versus the other luxury brands. My father bought his latest 2020 GC used back in 2022 with 30k miles and it was $40k, which is a decent deal. The new ones they wanted $65k+ for base laredos with the 3.6L. The Grand Wagoneer is a nice vehicle, but they had one for $117K in the showroom. People spending that kind of money are looking at BMW X5, X7 and the Mercedes and Audi equivalents, not a dolled up Grand Cherokee.

The competition for the grand wagoneer is the suburbun/yukon/escalade. Those are all similar pricing when you compare like features. And the grand wagoneer has tons of space and can tow 10k pounds, that is best in class. "dolled up" is a little inacurate i'd say, it's a very capable suv but the price is just too far out of reach for most people.

I used to go to the Auto Show every year. I haven't been to one in ten years now, and most people I know share the same sentiment.

With the ever-increasing lack of interest, mouth-breathers stealing whatever they can off the display cars, and the expense and hassle involved in attending, I suspect more manufacturers will be making the same call in time.

If you have the 3.6L watch your oil filter/cooler assembly for leaks as well as the PCV on the passenger rear head for leaks (which will ruin the O2 sensor).
Been watching it - and reading - sounds like the Dorman is good - gaskets are not = use OEM gaskets ?

Been watching it - and reading - sounds like the Dorman is good - gaskets are not = use OEM gaskets ?
Correct; use Mopar gaskets. However, the Dorman makes the engine run hotter because the insulating qualities are lost between the cooler and the oil filter housing; e.g. OEM = plastic and aluminum and Dorman = all aluminum.

Back