Starting issue - Honda

Looking for opinions on this.......

Honda HRX217 w/ GCV190 engine.

It has ethanol free fuel in it. If you start it every 1-2 days with full choke - stone cold, it ALWAYS starts on 1 pull. Never an issue.

If you let it sit two weeks or a month, it will take 2-5 pulls.

Why?

They all seem to do this even my power washer.

Negative. All winter the valves were turned off with fresh ethanol free fuel and they all started like crap. I have a bunch.

Carbs always look showroom fresh inside...

have you removed the carb recently? If so did you install new gaskets for the carb and air filter? I dealt with hard starts for a fee months before I figured out that the gaskets were spent. New gaskets solved the problem.

If I shut off the fuel and run my GC160 mower dry, it takes a number of pulls to start it again next time. Even just a week later.
If I turn off the engine, then shut off the fuel and leave the carb wet, it starts in 1-2 pulls. Even a week later.

If I shut off the fuel and run my GC160 mower dry, it takes a number of pulls to start it again next time. Even just a week later.
If I turn off the engine, then shut off the fuel and leave the carb wet, it starts in 1-2 pulls. Even a week later.
I do the same with my Honda mower with the gc160.usually 3-5 pulls to get it going from a dry start.Beats tearing carb off :cool:

My Honda 190's choke does not engage fully. I can push it into place with my fingers, but the mechanism is configured oddly and is slightly inadequate. When cold, it's very difficult to start without pulling the air filter and priming it. Short of taking it apart fully and altering the design a bit, it will remain that way forever.

I wonder if yours is not similar.

Indeed. They were off .002" and it made zero difference other than a slightly different mechanical sound. Maybe mind over matter.

When I used to own my 5.9L cummins diesel the valves were out of adjustment so bad it was like having an engine rebuild. Some were as much as 10 to 12 thousands out whack.

Back