Starter Replacement, 2002 Silverado 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to remove the old starter from my 02 Chevy Silverado but something is holding it in.

I loosened and removed the 2 bolts.
The electrical connections have not been removed.

There are 2 lines that run directly under the starter and I'm assuming that they are transmission oil cooler lines.

The started does pop out ( about 3/4 inches) but something is preventing it from coming out completely.

Does the started have to be maneuvered a certain way for it to come out.

Note: Negative battery cable has been removed

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
In this post, the guy posts the directions from the service manual:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/starter-removal.137048/

Took the 10mm nut off, cover became loose and the starter dropped. Turned the starter slightly over to get access to the power leads(13mm), loosened and removed those bolts and the starter came off.

Thanks for instructions

Update:

Starter rebuilt, installed and working good so far. Will report if I get a "NO Start".

One thing that the shop told me is that its common for the negative battery cable to get corroded at opposite end of where it connects to battery. The tech told me to follow the negative battery cable to its origin, remove and clean it up real good. He says that a bad ground causes problems with starters all the time.

I explained to the shops tech that my situation was that when I would get a "no start", movement would seem to help and the truck would start..He responded by saying "then its the brushes".

And thats what happen just before I took out the starter. I jumped on the truck, tried to start it and the truck finally did not start while I was attempting to go to the store. I'm reminding everyone that my wife experienced all of the previous "no starts".

At that moment when I got the "no start", I shook the truck while sitting on the drivers seat, using my body weight, and then turned the key...the truck started...

Pulled the starter out that same day..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back