started the xmas cake today

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today being stir-up sunday (sunday before advent) I decided to start my "traditional" christmas cake (only 2nd time I'm making it). TONS of dried fruit, half a bottle of cheap and nasty brandy (got a few looks from the bottle-o) later, and now I have a huge tub of this fruit soaking up the brandy in the fridge for the next fortnight.

After the forntight is up, I bake the cake, and then it rests another forntight to christmas with a drizzle of brandy every 5 days.

this year I will put some 5c pieces in for good measure. Last saw that when I was a 6 yr old boy at the extended fam's holiday house.

The memories.

I will take a pic once the cake is baked. About 1/2 kilo of macadamia's to go in at the baking stage.

Last edited:
crinkles, I remember the 5c pieces...thanks for the memories.

A polish friend gave me their traditional cake recipe years ago. I've pulled it off twice, and stuffed the timing the rest of the time...involves resting, and plum jam centre.

Your timing looks like something I can pull off this year.

Got a recipe ?

Or talk us through it stage by stage.

How much fruit to a half bottle of brandy ?

I was always told to use (and we always used ) sixpences, and I'm only a touch older than Shannow.
Something about the metallurgy being a bit different and safer in the baking
21.gif

Clicked on the quiklink to the left, thought I'd found the Rachael Ray website :)

So you're putting metal coins in this cake? What's the idea behind that? I'd be afraid of broken teeth....do they get removed first?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

So you're putting metal coins in this cake? What's the idea behind that? I'd be afraid of broken teeth....do they get removed first?

Actually always went in the pudding, not the cake, at least in my family.
Imagine a little kid finding money in your Christmas pudding as you eat it !
Been a big tradition here for generations (of white fella's anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back