ST2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a ST2 filter off my 2002 F150. 3070 miles on the filter, 189,980 miles on truck.

Filter:

Baseplate:

Inside can, much cleaner than last time:

Combo valve:

Seam:

"worst" pleat spacing:

Spiral hole center tube:

Pleats actually tore fairly easy:

Not much in the media:

Overall, I was very surprised how easily the media tore.
I was just pushing it to check like I do with all other filters, and it tore with very little pressure.
I was able to easily press apart what is shown in the picture. Not impressed at all.
I was planning on using ST filters as my go-to filter in the future, but not quite so sure now.
I am about to just run down to Walmart and clean out the rest of the clearance TG2 on the shelf (and maybe a few of the TG3600's).
Right now it is $2.84 for a ST2, $3 for a TG2.
I think $0.16 is worth it for the quality of the TG (wait, did I just praise a Fram product, what is wrong with me??).

I also still don't quite understand how the combo valve works on these things. It was still pliable though.
I almost wonder if it was in bypass since there was so much less debris in the can compared to last time?
The oil itself still looks really clean, so no idea.

One weird thing is I had a little oil dripping off the filter when I went to take it off.
I did not see anywhere above the filter that was leaking, and nothing was on the top side of the filter, so I may have had a little leak at the filter gasket?
I will keep an eye on it with the new filter.

And just FYI, I did not change the oil; I only changed the filter because I wanted to use the EcoGard X4651 I had laying around.
With only 3,000 miles on the oil (5w-20 Havoline HM) with 2 qts of makeup oil already, it is still fresh oil with lots of life left IMO.
Plan on running the Ecogard for 3,000 miles and will change the oil then.

Thanks for the cut & post

A TG2 at those prices is a no-brainer. I have a handful of the Frampion CQ Blue 84899 in my stash for my truck.

I'd say the TG is the better filter between the two. Don't care for combo valves or brittle media.

The media didn't tear during use, and as far as i know no engines have fingers in them that will poke or pry at the media. So what's the big deal?

Originally Posted By: JoelB
The media didn't tear during use, and as far as i know no engines have fingers in them that will poke or pry at the media. So what's the big deal?

I was thinking something along those same lines before I read your post. So the measure of whether the filter fails or is up to the task is some subjective amount of force required to tear the media apart after the fact. Rhetorical comment.

What I can see, the filter appears fine to me. Looks like it did it's job over the ~3k oci. The ST is a ~5k value/jobber tier filter, intended for ~3-5k oci. The comparison to TG is apples and oranges tier wise. And the TG pricing as noted is a closeout price, not everyday. I'd spend a ~$1 more for a Napa Gold too when it's on sale. Again, two different tiers.

As for combo valve on this specific application, wouldn't be my first choice. However the popular ST 9688&3614 both use separate dome end bypass. So in this application even though the combo valve likely works as intended for this oci, I'd probably choose another filter. But, that's just me.

Overall I see nothing to indicate the filter didn't do it's job and wouldn't have been ok for a ~5k oci for which they are intended. Thanks for c&p.

Punching a hole in the media with ones finger proves nothing. It is the pressure gradient of the fluid with the media submersed in it's entirety with oil that proves the medias worth. If it went a whole OCI without tearing, then the filter media did it's job per design and it's design is not someone poking their finger in it.

Can we safely assume Microguard and ProSelect are exactly the same? Or is this Wix-made ST specially made for Walmart?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoelB

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Punching a hole in the media with ones finger proves nothing. It is the pressure gradient of the fluid with the media submersed in it's entirety with oil that proves the medias worth. If it went a whole OCI without tearing, then the filter media did it's job per design and it's design is not someone poking their finger in it.

Yes, me being able to to tear it with my fingers proves nothing, except I have never been able to do it on other filters I have cut open; even the identical CQ red I cut open had very sturdy media.
Just does not give me warm fuzzy feelings inside.
I have used a few Pro-Select, Wix made Car Quest Red, and ST filters in the past for different vehicles, and they all had solid media that was no where near this easy to tear.
To me it definitly shows this is a basic 3,000-5,000 mile filter (which it what it is designed for).

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
Can we safely assume Microguard and ProSelect are exactly the same? Or is this Wix-made ST specially made for Walmart?

From everything I have seen, yes, they are all the same inside, just different paint on the outside.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Thanks for the cut & post

A TG2 at those prices is a no-brainer. I have a handful of the Frampion CQ Blue 84899 in my stash for my truck.

Yup, stopped by Walmart today.

Left a few there (still had 6 of the TG2, only 1 TG3600 left on the shelf)

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yes, me being able to to tear it with my fingers proves nothing, except I have never been able to do it on other filters I have cut open; even the identical CQ red I cut open had very sturdy media.

The first step for a filter to become a "Tearolator" is brittle, easily torn media. If the pleat spacing was bad enough it could tear in use.

I have a hard time believing that a Wix would be that easy to tear, even if it is the jobber tier filter. I'm not saying you're lying, and I believe you that it was easy to tear with your finger, but using your finger is very different from the kind of pressure that oil puts on the media.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever seen any ProTecs/Microgards/NAPA Silvers with tears before, have we? I mean even this filter was perfectly fine and without tears before OP poked it.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
I have a hard time believing that a Wix would be that easy to tear, even if it is the jobber tier filter. I'm not saying you're lying, and I believe you that it was easy to tear with your finger, but using your finger is very different from the kind of pressure that oil puts on the media.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever seen any ProTecs/Microgards/NAPA Silvers with tears before, have we? I mean even this filter was perfectly fine and without tears before OP poked it.

No, my finger has not been calibrated for the tearometer scale.
smile.gif

As I said, compared to other Wix made jobber filters, this one had brittle media, the other ones did not. I don't think I pushed on it any harder that other filters I have done.

It seems there was a Microgard (or ST, or Pro-Select) that I saw here a few months ago that had a tear, but can't find it now.
No this one did not tear, and probably would not have within specified interval.

I have always been a fan of Wix filters, and this is the first thing even close to a problem I have had with any Wix product, so it does not turn me off from them, just a thing that raised an eyebrow for me.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

No, my finger has not been calibrated for the tearometer scale.
smile.gif

As I said, compared to other Wix made jobber filters, this one had brittle media, the other ones did not. I don't think I pushed on it any harder that other filters I have done.

It seems there was a Microgard (or ST, or Pro-Select) that I saw here a few months ago that had a tear, but can't find it now.
No this one did not tear, and probably would not have within specified interval.

I have always been a fan of Wix filters, and this is the first thing even close to a problem I have had with any Wix product, so it does not turn me off from them, just a thing that raised an eyebrow for me.

Here is one:
Stressed Out Microgard
Things do happen.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Here is one:
Stressed Out Microgard
Things do happen.

Oh right, I remember that one. But that filter went to 15,000 miles. I think Wix has even stated to someone here that Microgards/ProTecs are only meant for an OCI of 3,000 to 5,000 miles with conventional oil. Seeing a tear in a filter that went 15,000 miles that the manufacturer themselves states is only good for 5,000 is just a big "we told you so." Nobody should be afraid of using these filters for short OCI's.

Exactly, that filter went 3x what it should have. The filter is designed for the 3K to 5K oil change. I'm not sure you will find a WIX made economy oil filter with a problem in less than 5K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back