SSD Upgrade Questions

M.2 SATA is obsoleted, the future for M.2 will definitely be NVMe, so if you have the slot that takes both don't buy M.2 SATA buy the NVMe instead.

Regarding to the SATA 2.5" drive, they still have a future for larger slower storage if you do not want to use USB 3. I know Micron was selling QLC drive with SATA only because they can hide the performance penalty of QLC behind SATA's slowish speed. Some other company I forgot the name also sell massive SATA SSD server drive with lifetime warranty because it will never be written enough to wear out the drive.

Just have one drive for everything. Separating stuff is an outdated concept. For casual use you won't reallyu notice much of a difference between an NVMe drive and a regular SATA 6Gbps drive.

sata will pass not more than 500 ish mb/s.
funny how new ryzen can blast old server out of

Just have one drive for everything. Separating stuff is an outdated concept. For casual use you won't reallyu notice much of a difference between an NVMe drive and a regular SATA 6Gbps drive.
I would have to disagree.. I would always want my OS drive seperated if only on a different partition for easy reinstalls.
Also define casual use? netbook type use(web browsing etc) Gaming? Photoshop? video editing?

If the drives are literally the same price or close why wouldnt you go with NVME?

Also my steam drive is about 2.5TB. I just keep the most played games on SSD. you can move them back and forth in a couple mins while you get coffee refill.
Some games dont matter.. others are huge difference on NVME SSD.

IMO, if you already have your operating system on an SSD drive, moving to an NVME will not make much difference in day to day computing, unlike making a switch from an HDD to SATA SSD/M.2 NVME.

However, having your operating system on a separate drive from your personal files is a very good practice, because if you need to wipe the OS drive or re-install your operating system for whatever reason, it will not affect your files.

Personally I would go with M.2 if the price jump is not a factor or if you don't have space for another 2.5" SATA SSD. I would wager that you will be hard pressed to find an M.2 NVME drive for the same price as an equivalent capacity SATA SSD.

Back