Sqeaking from rear tires - dont know what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
well im getting a sqeak sqeak from the back left. Ive noticed it for awhile but not when driving, its gotten louder in the past week i can hear it when driving. Sounds like a bushing but i had my bushings checked few months ago and they were all solid as [censored] no give or cracks or rips. Checked them all even the sway bar ones. Absolute no give in them. No cracks or tares that i see.

It sqeaks all the time, and gets more noticable when going over bumps and get it when turning too. Hitting the brakes has no effect on the sound, doesnt make it worse. Speed has no effect either, the sound is mainly dependant on the road bumps.

If I push down on the back two tires i get a sqeak each time. But the car bounces up down, back up again and stays. I was thinking maybe a leaking or blown strut but theres no bounce. These struts are KYBGR2s and only 6 months old.

Just to be sure im check my bushings correctly, how do YOU inspect it? Should i take it to a place where i can rent a hoise for 30mins?

Only thing i can think of is that a year ago i had silicon lube sprayed on the main bushings. Not sure if that would affect it. But was told that bushings are suppose to be and stay dry all the time, is that true? So lubing your bushings is bad for them?

Im just scared, i dont want a bushing to come out or something cause it sounds like rubber (hear no metal contacting) sqeaking.

Another thing is, i still have a strong feeling its the actual springs in the rear struts that go with the strut assembly. Why? Theyre still stock, never replaced them when doing the struts. And the fact the car makes this sqeak every time when pushing down on the back corners of the car is a big sign i think.

the sqeak isnt consistent and doesnt getting louder with speed. The more bumps it hits, the more noise.

Trying to diagnose a rear squeak on the interweb can be difficult when we don't know what kind of car it is or how many miles are on it.

Since there is absolutely no information about the vehicle I assume OP drives:

Halftrack.jpg

Yea...you need to check out there's some funky going on in the rear end.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Originally Posted By: rjacket
Is it the mouse that ate another member's air filter?

Mouse Ate Air Filter

Sorry im looking for serious advice, not jokes.

Serious advice: profanity = ban

Originally Posted By: ComfyShorts
Since there is absolutely no information about the vehicle I assume OP drives:

Halftrack.jpg

Yea...you need to check out there's some funky going on in the rear end.

Could it be the fact you're riding on tracks vs. tires?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Trying to diagnose a rear squeak on the interweb can be difficult when we don't know what kind of car it is or how many miles are on it.

Its an 04 civic. 153,000km on it, which is like 95,000miles roughly.

i know it can behard online and im not expecting you guys to figure it out but i just want some suggestions on what to check and if its possible that it could be the springs in my strut assemblies. Since they are still stock.

I mean when you push down on the rear of the car and hear a sqeak, thats not normal right? its the same sqeak that im getting when driving, exact same.

Last edited:
think its the trailing arm, this is literally the exact sqeak im getting but not as loud.

Also from what i notice, if the cars been sitting and cold and drive, i dont get it. The car has to be driven for a bit to get the sound, and my guess is the bushing hardens when cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OWr1vvy7E

Definitely sounds like a bushing. You're going to have to bring it in and put on a lift. One tech will bounce the car while another listens.

^You can actually bounce the car when on a hoist?

Maybe im not doing it right, i just went under the car and checked the bushings again. From what i could see up close and with a flashlight i couldnt see any rips on any of them. I have no doubt this has to be a bushing problem. Gonna take it to a mech later today.

Last edited:
Well was about to get it checked at the mechs this afternoon but the sound was gone. Figured it was just cold cause from the other day, if its cold, the sound wont be there but after some driving itll come back cause the rubber in the bushing would heat. So drove it around today and sound wouldnt come back at all so had to post pone my appt for later this week when it comes back. He could have still checked it i know, but no point if the sound isnt even happening right now for him to hear.

On my list so far.

- check bushings
- check strut mount

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Could be the strut mount.

or the spring im guessing. But i assume you have to take apart the whole strut to check it? what a pain in the [censored].

^You can actually bounce the car when on a hoist?

They'll have to put it on an alignment rack.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Could be the strut mount.

or the spring im guessing. But i assume you have to take apart the whole strut to check it? what a pain in the [censored].

If the spring is not broken, I doubt it's the spring. It's either a bushing or the strut mount as previously mentioned.

well another day and the sound hasnt been able to come back yet so havent been able to see the mech yet.

Oddest thing. i know itll come back eventually, just annoying always having to listen for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back