Spoiled meat from my local Safeway again.

Are there certain supermarkets that this is an issue? Or has anyone else had this issue? Tbis is the 4th or 5th bad meat product from my local Safeway in less than a year. I picked up pre wrapped lamb to put on the grill. Got it home the label said packaged in April 25th use by may 25th. When I opened it the smell of rotten eggs made me gag which means definitely bad. Really ruined my afternoon off.

Not a big surprise.
You need to find a store with higher traffic to ensure you are getting the freshest product.

We had issues with the local Whole Foods.
Only once we went to the bigger store, did the quality improve drastically.

Last time I was at Safeway I found a container of banana chips that was about 6 months expired. Brought it to a staff member and they took care of it.

I've had this problem at a large store in town. Small town, but always busy.

Not necessarily meat, but some of the specialty stuff. No one seemed to care that I was handing them something that expired almost a year ago. When I was kind of forced to shop there during the pandemic, I got into a habit of looking at the date on every single thing I put in the cart.

We get most of our groceries from Walmart now (free pickup for the win), and I have had some packs of chicken breast do some weird stuff within date. Some of it is I don't know if it's my own eebee geebees or if it's actually a problem, but if I get eebees it's gone.

Some places have a scruffy meat and a mushy fruit and veggie section that are close to or have reached the use-by or freeze date. Grocery Outlet comes to mind. :LOL:

Last edited:
Not a big surprise.
You need to find a store with higher traffic to ensure you are getting the freshest product.

We had issues with the local Whole Foods.
Only once we went to the bigger store, did the quality improve drastically.
It's probably poor hygiene in handling rather than old product.

I wonder if this is due to the meat being left out of refrigeration for longer than normal?

Most “butchers” at supermarkets are just show. They pull frozen stock and stock the cases. The bakeries and so called fresh food are the same way.

I've zero issues with Whole Foods and I like they dropped their prices a bit. At least you can clearly see the price.

Safeway borders on criminality with deceptive pricing.

Back