Spilled my first oil today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it had to come eventually. I had my first Doh! moment tonight when I was changing out the oil in my pickup. I use one of those enclosed plastic 15qt oil drain drums that has a concave top with a central drain hole. I forgot to unplug the pressure relief valve and started 5.5 quarts of hot oil from my truck. It didn't take long for the oil to start pooling at the top and eventually overflowing and ruining my excess-carpet work mat (and a 3'x4' spot on my concrete driveway).

I used some kitty litter to absorb the rest of the oil. Afterward I put some full strength Purple Power degreaser on it and scrubbed with a broom.

I can still see the spot where the oil was, so it is hard to judge if there is going to be a big spot when it dries tomorrow.

Anyone have recommendations for cleaning relatively fresh oil spots? I already threw away the kitty litter I used to soak up the oil.

Last edited:
Well, once I forgot to install the drain plug and managed to dump 6 quarts of brand new oil down the driveway.....

Lots of kitty litter, clean up, repeat, then grind it into the pavement with your boots, let it sit a day, clean up...then flush the stains with clean gasoline (outdoors ONLY, obviously, and only on concrete, not blacktop), brush with a stiff broom, then more kitty litter.

Kitty litter let it sit, work it in with a broom. Sweep it up, simple green, brush it in, hit it with a power washer.

AD

Quote:
Spilled my first oil today..

You've just taken your first step into a larger world- Obiwan

It's best to keep life's challenges in perspective.

joseph-hazelwood.jpg

Look at the bright side: now you have an irrefutable justification to go out and get a good high-power pressure washer. I've got a 2700 psi model -- and oil spills don't stand a chance. Just don't use the "laser stream" tip (usually colored red). That thing is so overpotent that it will literally blast a hole into the concrete. Kinda cool to watch, but again, we're shootin' for the oil spot -- not the center of the earth.
cheers3.gif

I did the same thing except I forgot to remove the plug. Kitty litter for sure. Then "Greased Lightening".

Get one of these:
11845%205%20Gallon%20Drain%20Pan.jpg

Once I drove over the pan full of drained oil.

Buy the cement that's not mixed with gravel and sand.

Hose off all the stuff you've already put down, wait for standing water to evaporate.

Then liberally sift cement onto the stain, after 48 hours sweep up the excess(or before your next rain).

I scrub it off w/ gasoline and then soap and water and rinse.
My oil spot always goes away with this method.

I've had good results with Simple Green and my Power Washer. I take up the bulk of the mess with Kitty Litter, let it sit, then scrub in Simple Green, and have at it with the Power Washer. Foaming Gunk Engine Cleaner works well too with the assistance of the Power Washer.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I guess it had to come eventually. I had my first Doh! moment tonight when I was changing out the oil in my pickup. I use one of those enclosed plastic 15qt oil drain drums that has a concave top with a central drain hole. I forgot to unplug the pressure relief valve and started 5.5 quarts of hot oil from my truck. It didn't take long for the oil to start pooling at the top and eventually overflowing and ruining my excess-carpet work mat (and a 3'x4' spot on my concrete driveway).

I used some kitty litter to absorb the rest of the oil. Afterward I put some full strength Purple Power degreaser on it and scrubbed with a broom.

I can still see the spot where the oil was, so it is hard to judge if there is going to be a big spot when it dries tomorrow.

Anyone have recommendations for cleaning relatively fresh oil spots? I already threw away the kitty litter I used to soak up the oil.

I've had the same exact thing happen to me before. I went to change the oil on my friend's sister's truck and I forgot to open the little plug in the middle, it started pouring all down the driveway before I realized that the plug wasn't open. I used a bunch of kitty litter but the stain is still there slightly, a year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back