Status
Not open for further replies.
My VW's 5spd is one picky tranny
rolleyes.gif
,but now I think it has found something it reaaly likes
cool.gif

Stuff i've tried:

Stock stuff:
Pretty good but a tad notchy on the 1-2 shift..Fluid might of been shoot since it smelled like a dead beaver when it came out at 30K miles.

M1 75W-90:
Not bad,better than the stock fluid that had 30K on it.It felt a little "thick" in the box though.

50/50 mix of M1 75W-90 and M1 ATF:
Trying to thin out the 75W-90 only got me slightly more notchy action.Too thin
frown.gif

Specialty Formulations MTL-R:
By far the best outta the bunch
smile.gif
!
The 1-2 shift action is waay better.The prior notchy feeling has improved to the point where it's almost gone
shocked.gif
,quite a feat in a VW box.By far,the superior product in this VW tranny.Thanks Mola
cheers.gif
!

Alan, I bet what you are experiencing (mostly) is that the MTL-R is friction modified specifically for a synchromesh tranny. Few 75W-90s are. Most are friction modified 'just enough' to work with 'most' limited slip rear-ends ... and even then, some need additives to allow them to work properly.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Why did you choose the MTL-R over the MTL-P? I'm going to buy a gallon or two of this and try it but I'd like to be certain to choose the correct product.

edit: well, I thought I was going to try it. The web page doesn't seem to have links to placing orders and for some reason e-mails have been returned. Oh well...

[ March 09, 2005, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

That's good to hear. My VW tranny has Redline MT-90 and it's pretty good, but I plan on switching to SF MTL-R when 60,000mi rolls around.

Your VW should be purring like a kitten now. VR6 has VW 502 oil, and tranny has GL-4 rated fluid.
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif
I'll give you another tip with VW's. Stay away from Prestone (hint: G12 is your friend), and when discussing PSF only Pentosin should roll from the tongue.
tongue.gif

Bror,
I think your right as it behaves so much better now with this stuff.Much improved 1-2 shift action this morning with an ambient 17 F.

FowVay,
The MTL-R is the VW recommended 75W90 viscosity where the MTL-P is a 75W85.I had no problems ordering off the website.

Bobert,
Good advice.I used G12 and VW OEM PSF when I flushed the cooling and power steering systems at 30K.It is expensive though
shocked.gif
!

I figured the difference was similar to the comparison of Redline MTL versus MT-90. I may order a gallon of each and just see for myself which one works the best. Since summer is on the way I'll start with the MTL-R.

I don't know why but none of the links worked on their web page for me. Also, I tried to e-mail Molakule but the were sent back. Maybe I can post a message on the message board.

As a matter of fact I am using Firefox. I'll use my IE and give it another try.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back