Specialty Formulations ATF, Saab 9-5, 15k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a followup to a past UOA: 60k ATF UOA

The car is a 2001 Saab 9-5 with an Aisin-Warner 4-speed automatic transmission. The owner's manual calls for a single drain/fill at 60k miles. As the UOA shows, the ATF was pretty shot by then, so I did 3 drain/fills with the Specialty Formulations Autoglide Dexron III ATF.

Now, 15k miles later (a total of 75k on the car) I've done another drain/fill with Redline D4. The results of the Blackstone UOA on the Autoglide are as follows (newest values are 1st column):

You can see the improvement in wear that the oil change brought. We're glad to see you changed this oil, since metals are still high. Wear should look even better in the next sample. Some of the wear metals that we found are residual from the last oil, as you can never get all of it out with a transmission fluid change. Aluminum didn't improve as much as we'd like, so we'll look for that to come down more next time. If it doesn't, the torque converter may not be wearing as well as it could be. The low viscosity and 0.1% insolubles may show excessive heat.

Quote:

-- 75k miles / 60k miles
Al 45 / 49
Cr 1 / 2
Fe 129 / 206
Cu 131 / 266
Pb 39 / 76
Sn 2 / 10
Mo 0 / 1
Ni 1 / 2
Mn 2 / 4
Ag 0 / 0
Ti 0 / 0
K 1 / 4
B 58 / 48
Si 31 / 56
Na 4 / 7
Ca 44 / 29
Mg 35 / 102
P 296 / 302
Zn 77 / 166
Ba 5 / 13
Sus Viscosity @ 210F: 41.8 (should be 43-49)
Insolubles: 0.1%

Next drain/fill is in 15k miles, so look for a followup in 2009
grin2.gif

Last edited:
So, the left column has 15k miles on it after 3 successive (drive 1-2 miles between drain & refill) SF changes? So, was the drain plug (have you verified that it is indeed magnetic?) cleaned every time after the first drain & refill that was missed then?

What is the starting vis of SF? Anyone have a VOA of SF DexIII? The only VOA I found was for SF Z1.

The RH column is for the factory fill at 60k miles, the LH column is at 75k miles total on the car, with 15k miles on the new ATF.

The drain plug was cleaned. I have no idea what the starting point of the Autoglide is, and since SF is no longer in business it's likely to remain a mystery...

The starting viscosity of the semi-synth Autoglide DIII/Mercon was 7.5 to 8.0 cSt.

Properties (Typical)
Viscosity @ 100 C 7.5 cSt ISO 32/46
Viscosity @ 40 C 35 cSt
Viscosity Index 201
Flash Point 435 0F
Fire Point 452 0F
Pour Point - 43 0F
Noack Volativity 2.07% (ASTM D-5800)
TAN 0.5
TBN 2.1

Not for use in Chrysler automatic transmissions or where
Ford Mercon V and Ford Type-F fluids are specified. Not for use as a replacement for Dexron III(H) fluids in 2004 and newer GM transmissions.

Thanks for chiming in Molakule! This ATF made the transmission shift beautifully and I'm pretty bummed I didn't stock up. Same with my old Subaru, the Autoglide was a vast improvement over the bulk dino fluid used after its transmission was rebuilt.

Benjamming: No, I didn't pay extra for the TBN.

Oops, I forgot the a few data points...Same columns as before
Quote:

-- 75k miles / 60k miles
SUS Viscosity @ 210F 41.8 41.6
cST Viscosity @ 100C 4.72 4.65
Flashpoint in F 370 320
water % 0.0 0.0
Insolubles 0.1 0.1

Hmm, with all the insolubles maybe I should consider an external filter. I'll be driving this car for at least 5 more years (~ 50,000 miles) and would really like to avoid any transmission trouble...especially after I upgrade the turbo and ECU to Aero specs (185->230 hp, 207->258 ft-lb) in the spring.

Definitely consider a full flow filter. Either magnefine or permacool it(or any full flow hydraulic oil filter).

Stick with the 10k intervals(or less). Too bad you didn't just flush it with the SF. Drain/refills are great for regular maintenance but starting with 60k waste fluid deserves a flush.

You need more frequent intervals to bump up the visc and remove that wear(insolubles and all PPMs). A full flow filter will help much.
If modding, you should monitor ATF temps since power mods will increase AT wear, ATF temp, shear fluid more quickly,........

A bigger cooler and full flow filter would be smart upgrades NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back