spark plug questions with photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

my vibe has 10 years/120k plugs per manual. I'll probably change them out in 5-6 years/60k miles on them

Problem I've run across with these 100k tuneups is, yes specialty plugs may last that long, but they can be a major PITA to remove after all those miles. Better to pull them sooner and get some antiseize on them while you can.

Quote:

I just took them out and looked at them and put them back in. No problem getting them out.. More of a problem getting the #!@$^% socket off the plug once I had them tight in the head.

Its SOOOOO easy to change plugs in this car that I'll just continue with going down the road and keep enjoying the car.
banana.gif

Take care and thanks all for the replies!
Bill
patriot.gif

Now to make this job even easier (like on my Civic's I-4), take the little rubber thingy out of the socket with needle nose pliers BEFORE you put the plugs back in. This way the socket will not GRAB the plugs when installed. Only use the rubber thingly for REMOVING the plugs.

C ya!
canada.gif

To prevent seizeing, I have used powered graphite--the same stuff I use as a lock lube. Any hardware store should have it. Put a bead of powder on the threads and rub it in lightly. I have used this on plugs for years with good results. FWIW

Just wondering folks, Are the plugs I need (when I change them out in 30k or so miles) these in this ad?
confused.gif

At $1.99 each, if they are the same, I'd go buy a set... just to have in the stash..
grin.gif

Thanks in advance! Bill
patriot.gif

The NGK Iridium IX plugs are extremely popular with the Acura crowd for a slight increase in performance and driveability. However, they do not quite deliver the exact same service life as the OE type Iridium plugs...with these, 50-75k I'd guess is typical. However, at that price, I'd buy a boatload. They normally run $8.00/plug....

Quote:

I just took them out and looked at them and put them back in. No problem getting them out.. More of a problem getting the #!@$^% socket off the plug once I had them tight in the head.

I put a tad of that spark plug grease on one of my plugs and lubed up the inside of my spark plug socket, now it holds on but then doesn't stay way down inside the well (and man is that a deep well!).

My plugs looked a lot like that, pulled them at 25k just because I was curious. Maybe a little less of the dark grey stuff. Didn't even bother checking the gap, just wanted to see the color.

Thanks for reminding me of the PCV valve, that is pretty cheap insurance...

I put new tires on (17" Yokohama AVID H4S with heavier rims) and I'm only getting a max of about 38 on the highway...

Plugs look fine, most times the platnum tips are completely GONE by 100k. Get some Nevr-Seez on those threads...

Quote:

Quote:

Its SOOOOO easy to change plugs in this car that I'll just continue with going down the road and keep enjoying the car.
banana.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Now to make this job even easier (like on my Civic's I-4), take the little rubber thingy out of the socket with needle nose pliers BEFORE you put the plugs back in. This way the socket will not GRAB the plugs when installed. Only use the rubber thingly for REMOVING the plugs.

C ya!
canada.gif

Great tip. I had never thought of this, but I'm going to use this from now on!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

banana.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

C ya!
canada.gif

Great tip. I had never thought of this, but I'm going to use this from now on!

Just note that without the rubber insert, the plug is not going to stay in the socket while putting back into the plug well. If you have deep wells like on my Civic, just drop the spark plugs in gently first, then use the socket to tighten them slowly to avoid cross-threading. Never had a problem this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back