Sounds Heard From Missing Argentine Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaks of an explosion .

I am guessing it was a diesel / electric boat . Diesel is not prone to an explosion .

I am sure it had its share of hydraulic systems , but hydraulic fluid is not prone to explode , either .

Do not know if the torpedo were alcohol burning or battery / electric . Either which , in the wrong circumstances may cause an explosion . Then there are the torpedo warheads .

However , with nothing really to go by , I come back to my first guess . Hydrogen from out gassing from the main propulsion batteries .

May never know .

May God have mercy on their souls ,

The bits I've read intimated it sunk below crush depth. Indications were that would sound much like an explosion.
Not being a submariner I know nothing more than I've managed to glean reading some of the less glitzy and sensationalised news sources.

What I can tell you is an explosion and implosion sound very different. They specifically said explosion, but who knows what they really mean.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
What I can tell you is an explosion and implosion sound very different. They specifically said explosion, but who knows what they really mean.

I guess an explosion quickly becomes an implosion at depth anyways...
How many things would have to go wrong on a sub to sink while trying to get to port as safely as possible? I guess if you loose all ballast control and all propulsion you're done, but there must be a bit of redundancy?

I can tell you the Navy gave me a heavy touch of OCD...check, verify, recheck, reverify. (That might be why people have me fix their cars.
wink.gif
)

I think I drive my wife and kids crazy sometimes.

Hot run. Basically torpedo starts up shipboard either in a tube or in stowage. That Torpedo completes it run time and then explodes.
frown.gif

From a retired Submariner.

hot run (the torpedo ignites inside the torpedo tube). There are a bunch of immediate actions to take in the event of a hot run to try and survive it but my first instinct, as a hardened agnostic, would be to pray quickly, and with great feeling.

Submarine terms

God have mercy on their souls

I wish they would have stayed on the surface after the reported battery problem was 'resolved'.

"all men shall be sailors then until the sea shall free them" Leonard Cohen

You know how the media can be.

Originally Posted By: Garak

You know how the media can be.

I know. They can be "insert four letter word here"

I have no personal knowledge . But , yes , this is exactly what I have read . From different sources .

And , yes , if a sub continues to go down , below its rated crush depth , it will eventually reach a point where the structural strength of the hull is exceeded . At that point it implodes / breaks up .

Unless the water is shallow enough that the sub comes to rest on the bottom , before all of the above happens .

May God have mercy on the crew ,

BBC is reporting that the Argentine Navy says there were no torpedoes aboard the sub.

Therefore it was not a hot run torpedo.

Last edited:
If true , and if there was an explosion , takes me back to hydrogen gas explosion ?

But you never know about the media . Or government organizations . :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back