Son needs a vehicle

not same demographic here, and retired from usnr not army, but i’m in exactly the same $25k, reliable, suv-ish, search mode. i am soon giving my nice 2013 vw passat to my younger son as he transitions from active army to reserves and a fulltime mba at cornell.

my own results, on what’s generally available at these parameters, thru a nationwide online search: new vw taos s fwd, cpo vw tiguan s, cpo mazda cx5 sport, new kia soul lx or s. would consider, but cannot find, a kia seltos anywhere. maybe a chevy trailblazer but i’m leery of its 3cyl turbo.

as for overseas tours in his next few years, if even a pov is allowed, a local, used, hooptie is best for a young single lt.

Why why why.

A Cayenne is a Touareg is a Q7. They're built very well, they drive great, and they look the part.

Because if he is in the military he needs a reliable vehicle. What if Porsche breaks down and he can’t fix it himself ?

German vehicles are expensive to get repaired if you can’t repair yourself.

CX-5 would be a very good choice for reliable transportation.

Last edited:
Because if he is in the military he needs a reliable vehicle. What if Porsche breaks down and he can’t fix it himself ?

German vehicles are expensive to get repaired if you can’t repair yourself.

CX-5 would be a very good choice for reliable transportation.
I was in the military and drove various 90's BMWs and VWs.

If you're scared just say you're scared. Not every one is. The Cayenne/Touareg is an awesome SUV.

When I was in the Air Force there were some folks with nice German cars like a Porsche 944 Turbo, Audi 5000S, BMW 6 series, etc… that needed to spend and arm and leg to get repaired.

You were a youngin when I was in the military…. German cars had a bad reputation for reliability.

Literally recommending the worst car since the Caliber.
What, you don’t like hard plastic literally everywhere? Or a 10+ second 0-60? Or JATCO cvt’s?
696F0B08-80F4-494F-A6D3-C8722D1E22FE.jpeg

What, you don’t like hard plastic literally everywhere? Or a 10+ second 0-60? Or JATCO cvt’s?View attachment 102216
It's just all bad. So bad.

How Chrysler went from PT Cruiser to Caliber to Journey, I'll never know. What about the Avenger? The Dart? Sebring? Someone designed those cars. Someone approved those designs.

And people say that Diamler/FCA/Stellantis doesn't deserve their reputation. Their "good" cars are just corn in the turd.

It's just all bad. So bad.

How Chrysler went from PT Cruiser to Caliber to Journey, I'll never know. What about the Avenger? The Dart? Sebring? Someone designed those cars. Someone approved those designs.

And people say that Diamler/FCA/Stellantis doesn't deserve their reputation. Their "good" cars are just corn in the turd.
Those care sold like hotcakes (for some ungodly reason) but they appealed to some people.

Great moneymakers for the business as long as you can delay the garbage heap of repairs that they are until the 3 year/36k mile warranty is up.

They’re all the same platform?
Ayup, with some minor differences.

2003-2010 Cayenne and Touareg are 7L platform

2011-2017 Cayenne and Touareg are 7P platform

2006-2015 Q7 is an extended version of the 7L platform

For 2018+ they all use the MLB Evo platform along with the Urus and Bentayga

Anyone on a tight budget needs a used Porsche like a hole in the head!
He has already driven (or owned, not sure) an X3 and an XC90.

A Cayenne will be more reliable, on average, than either. People forget that Porsche regularly ranks at or near the top in dependability and customer satisfaction. Add in the robust aftermarket where every "common problem" has an overbuilt solution and it's hard to lose.

I’m still against a Porsche for any person in the military.

Just because you can repair a Porsche doesn’t mean other military folks can troubleshoot and repair a mechanical or electrical problem.

If I could afford a Porsche, it would be a 911 Turbo.

Those care sold like hotcakes (for some ungodly reason) but they appealed to some people.

They sold them because they threw a boatload of money on the hood to move them.
At the end, around here, they were pushing new Journeys out the door for 16K without negotiation.

I’m still against a Porsche for any person in the military.

Just because you can repair a Porsche doesn’t mean other military folks can troubleshoot and repair a mechanical or electrical problem.

If I could afford a Porsche, it would be a 911 Turbo.

Didn't BITOG have it's typical debate about this very story in the past year or so?

Back