Son needs a vehicle

He could get a good deal on a well used Toyota Sequoia.

If it must be a SUV, a sleeper SUV might be a Acura.

This 2011 MDX has 58k miles, dealer service history, $18,900. I would pass as this vehicle lived most of its life in NY/NJ (Carfax says eight years in Florida, service records show otherwise). I would not be surprised to find a one owner dealer serviced MDX with low miles and not from a rust belt state for under $20k.

The Highlander is a Camry with cargo room. So's the Venza for that matter.

It should be a conventional powertrain, IMO, not hybrid, because it'll be parked for a while here and there, which isn't great for the hybrid battery.

Be great if he can find drum brakes, less "lot rot."

He should get something mass market, it'll be easier to get service in strange towns, or at the base hobby shop.

I purchased our boys a Wrangler that had 150k miles on it... manual tranny. Paid $3,500 for it and they drove it for 5 years. Sold it for $5k.

Thanks for the feedback guys it's all very helpful. He is majoring in Kinesiology looking to branch Medical Service Corps to be a Physical Therapist. Its a small portion of the student class in his YG so his chances of getting it are pretty good. That being said, he is looking at a possible branch detail too which he has very good chance of going Aviation for that for the first few years. He knows he has a 5 year AD commitment and 3 years in the USAR following that if he doesn't decide to stay in after the first commitment is over. As for a DITY move, the family did 1 or 2 and he knows about it but he really wants a vehicle that has the room to bridge the first 5 years of his service. He is focusing on used reliable vehicles and staying away from flashy and fast cars because he knows his insurance will be through the roof if he does. His GF says he drives like a grandpa anyway so not in his genes. He has the $25k in the bank already even though he can take the $30k Cow loan at 1% as a senior at West Point. As for my wife and I, she did over 20 years and I did 30 years retiring as an O6 and with 18 moves in 30 years, my son has just about heard and/ or experienced several of those moves so he's figuring out the move thing. But, he sometimes needs to hear from other than mom and dad so your input is really valuable for him, thanks.

2019 Hyundai Tucson (SEL trim or higher) with the 2.4 engine. Find a low mileage one in excellent condition with the long powertrain warranty intact for the 2nd owner.

No one recommending a Crown Victoria? That's what the forum would mostly be recommending ten or fifteen years ago.... Sure, it's not an SUV but it does have a large trunk.

If he wants a SUV I'd get a CR-V with the K24 and 2WD. Otherwise an 8th gen Accord is a nice vehicle.

the 9th gen Accord is much better than the 8th gen

Indirect TPMS, much better gas mileage, and it's smaller on the outside, too. There are no problems with the CVT, either. Easily the best midsize sedan of the last 10 years for low operating costs.

If it must be a SUV, a sleeper SUV might be a Acura.

This 2011 MDX has 58k miles, dealer service history, $18,900. I would pass as this vehicle lived most of its life in NY/NJ (Carfax says eight years in Florida, service records show otherwise). I would not be surprised to find a one owner dealer serviced MDX with low miles and not from a rust belt state for under $20k.

Better gift him a Subscribe and Save subscription for oil because he will probably need it. The 10-13 MDX 3.7L can have some serious oil consumption issues.

Last edited:
Back