Something different - HPL Super Car 0w-40 for the SRT

I know its a minor thing and makes no difference in the performance of the product but IMHO, HPL needs a better looking bottle, with some cooler looking graphics.

But for a serious question, why does the HPL 0W-30 supercar only meet API SL?
Don’t necessarily want to speak for Dave/HPL, but allow me to do so anyways haha.

It’s all about the additive package. The specs come with the additive package purchased/used for that specific oil. In this case, the additive package used in the Supercar oil lineup meets API SL. My guess (truly uninformed, just a guess here) is that it’s because of too high of concentration of specific anti-wear components in the package.

Can we ban talking about HPL products on BITOG? Can't get it in the UK and would cost an absolute fortune to have shipped over and I'm just getting increasingly jealous.

Would love to pick one of their API CK-4 HDEO's in 10w30 or 15w40 flavour and just run in it everything I come across.

Don’t necessarily want to speak for Dave/HPL, but allow me to do so anyways haha.

It’s all about the additive package. The specs come with the additive package purchased/used for that specific oil. In this case, the additive package used in the Supercar oil lineup meets API SL. My guess (truly uninformed, just a guess here) is that it’s because of too high of concentration of specific anti-wear components in the package.
This

I regret not ordering this for the Pentastar. It looks like a very robust oil. After I ordered the Premium Plus PCMO 0W-20, I stumbled on some additional info, and I can run higher viscosities safely in this engine. @OIL_UDDER is an ex-Pentastar engineer, and he provided some beneficial information about these engines here on the forum. Still, I am confident that the Premium Plus PCMO 0W-20 is very good motor oil.

Back on topic: The HPL Supercar 0W-30 motor oil is rated API SL due to accuracy and honesty. That's the best way I can put it. The API has stringent guidelines for 0W-20, 5W-20, and 5W-30 motor oils. And so does ILSAC. These motor oils are only allowed a certain amount of Phosphorus and must be fuel-efficient and energy-conserving (HTHS < 3.5, VII that temporarily shear, etc.). The way Supercar 0W-30 was blended only qualifies it for an API SL rating. If it were a 0W-40, then the rating that applies to it is API SN because above 0/5W-30, the API requirements are not as stringent.

I mentioned accuracy and honesty because other blenders, such as Red Line, for example, are a bit loose with how they rate their non-API licensed oils. If you look at Red Line High-Performance 0W-30, you will notice that it's rated API SN. However, it does not fit that profile due to high ZDDP (Phosphorus above 800ppm). Why do they rate it as such? Precisely to avoid questions like yours and lose out on sales. Because at the end of the day, when it comes to high-performance motor oils, that API rating doesn't mean anything.

Looks like a great oil. (Waiting for the Amsoil haters to show up and do their thing )

@OVERKILL - you mysteriously said "understanding who is behind development" as one of your trust points for this oil. Care to enlighten us, or maybe provide a link or reference? Inquiring minds...

Looks like a great oil. (Waiting for the Amsoil haters to show up and do their thing )

@OVERKILL - you mysteriously said "understanding who is behind development" as one of your trust points for this oil. Care to enlighten us, or maybe provide a link or reference? Inquiring minds...

Sorry, I've been without power since last week, we got taken out by that derecho. @RDY4WAR answered the question :)

👍

High levels of zinc, calcium and other anti-wear additives not suited to most modern exhaust systems and DI engines, much like "German" (now Belgian) Castrol 0W-30...

Back