Some things I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Regular gasoline for .28 a gallon. Saturday matinee for .10. Ten hamburgers for a $1.00.

Sure do remember the 10 burgers for a buck. Used to get them on the way to the beach in middle 60's.

I always wanted to live close to my grandparents ( I listened to stories of "The good old days")

Today we are the grandparents (I tell stories of "the good old days" ..no tv, party line phone, 78 rpm records etc) - nobody listens
lol.gif

Last edited:
Gas was 89 cents when I started driving. An 82 Saporro. Thought I was a big shot because i had a portable CD player plugged into a cassette adapter so i could play through my car speakers.

I hear you Quattro Pete. I used to visit my dad 3-4 times a year because I could drive the distance in 17 hours. My step mother wanted to be closer to her family so they moved 200 miles further and I just can't do that in one shot. So now it's once a year, on his birthday. I begged them not to move but to no avail.

This new arrangement sux.

Could visit our Canadian friends to go fishing without a passport.
Local hardware had dynamite by the pound.
Just bought a grill dog at BK for 80 cents
Local tractor pull by the smaller tractors was by pulling a stone boat that we would jump on as it went down the track to add the weight
We knew most all the neighbors for at least 5 miles around

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Regular gasoline for .28 a gallon. Saturday matinee for .10. Ten hamburgers for a $1.00.
I remember those prices,,,,I'm a 1946 baby,,,hanging in at 71 years young....

Full service gas stations. Blue laws. And this image would always come on the TV screen when the local station would sign off at midnight:

And I remember seeing this commercial on Saturday mornings:

^ yup turning the TV channel with vise grips, work the fine tuning knob but still up the roof to spin the antenna around for reception. Off the air for the night.
All the candy I could get for a dollar to keep me happy for a while.
Those kabuki speakers you could throw in the back seat of the car, bedroom, garage.
LP collection - I still spin LPs and have vintage audio gear as well as modern.
Stupid floral couch parents had, and aunt.
Push mower, star wheel edger & hand grass clippers.
Perc coffee. Still have a Corning Ware blue cornflower 10 cup electric, not as old as our wood stove percolator.
Fishing seem better as a kid
The cans of oil - open with a can/bottle opener.
on & on......

I remember going to the "Buster Brown" shoe store in Scranton, PA. I remember sticking my feet into the fluoroscope and watching my toe bones wiggle.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Really wish I lived closer to my folks. With about 4,500 miles between us, I only get to see them once a year, if that.

Good heavens Pete. Where do they live? Rome?

My memory too goes back to the 28 cent gasoline and a bag of fifty Krystal burgers for five bux for the guys at the firehall. And being sick....

I remember $0.15 hamburgers at Burger Chef, along with the stuff aquariuscm does. I remember Western Auto, White's, swing and lift briges on the way to Padre Island National Seashore, ten cent soda machines, soda only in glass bottles or cans, pull tabs on drink cans, hot Dr. Pepper with a twist of lemon in the winter, Saturday morning cartoons, ten cent comics and paperback books only slightly higher, building & shooting Estes & Centuri model rockets, buying model glue and spray paint and chemicals for my chemistry set long befire I had any ID card, Erector Sets with sharp edges, nothing had UPC bar codes, MAD magazine, 18 year old legal drinking age, and the only unleaded gasoline grade was Marine White.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I remember $0.15 hamburgers at Burger Chef

Burger Chef also had awesome toys that came with their meals too!!

The "honor system" soda machines where you put a quarter in,and it unlatched the lid exposing the whole cooler full of Nehi's YUM!
Water rockets
Gala kites
Chemistry sets
Legos
Lincoln Logs

Oh,and ALL of the kids played outside!!
laugh.gif

The Johnson Smith catalogs that had the build it yourself hovercrafts,all these gag gifts,and x-ray specs (it showed a drawing of a kid wearing them looking at this chick walking by seeing through her clothes haha!!).

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
, building & shooting Estes & Centuri model rockets,.

I had the Saturn 5 that had 2 engines. It was impossible to get them to light off at the same time so it was under thrusted and did nose plants.

I had a kit with a radiation source to view alpha particle vapor trails.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I had a kit with a radiation source to view alpha particle vapor trails.

LOL I had one of those. My Dad bought it in Oak Ridge (where radiation was goood). And I spent way, way too much time in Belk's with my feet in the X-ray machine wiggling my toes. Never had athletes foot though....
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back