Some people shouldn't be allowed cars 🤷‍♂️

PXL_20210829_210632847.jpg

My neighbor asked me about her 2020 Elantra 2.0 I4 NU w/IVT

She claimed "cup of ☕" and attention level low

After some back and forth jokes, I educated her on the DAW system this cars equiped with

The Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system is designed as a safety feature to help reduce drowsy or inattentive driving. The DAW displays a bar graph that is intended to represent the driver's attention and fatigue level while driving.

She took delivery of it 6/2020, it's yet to have any scheduled service (see picture)

Hyundai gives you free maintenance for 3y/36k these days, but apparently the dealers service department is inconvenient to her schedule 🙄

Hyundai recommends maximum 1y/7.5k between oil changes

It'll probably get it's first oil change next weekend (9/2021) 😞🙄🤷‍♂️😥🤬

...it's at the low mark on the stick ☠️

AND, it's got an open recall for piston ring issues leading to consumption and engine failure (apparently a thing with some MY18-MY21 NU 2.0 MPI engines?)

Recall 203 – Improperly Heat-Treated Piston Oil Rings – 2019-2020 Hyundai Elantra, 2019-2021 Kona & Veloster

So next weekend it's getting a genuine Hyundai filter, PP 5w-30, and a cabin filter

Washer fluids bone dry

God help us 🥺

Some new cars call for periodic maintenance only every 5,000 or even 7,500 miles. Hyundai still requires it every 3,000, it appears. I wonder why?

Hyundai was notorious for denying warranty claims if a car did not receive the scheduled service, even if it was missed by only a few miles.

If that air bag light is staying on, she needs to take it to the dealer ASAP.

The airbag light is not on
It's just the last light off after bulb check when I grabbed the picture

It's interesting how they've adopted a MB esque way with the maintenance minder that it keeps nagging you about how "negative on time and mileage" you are

If we take these numbers at face value, it's logic decided it wanted an oil change after only about 3 months (6/20-9-20) and 3,010 miles of use

So it's been reminding her that it wanted maintenance for the best part of a calendar year now, and it's only happening because I bothered to notice....🤷‍♂️

Is it programmed to get the factory fill out early?

Because the manual states up to 12 months or 7500 miles, whichever comes first

I guess the maintenance minder trumps that

I mean, 4700 miles in 15 months isn't exactly extreme usage, but I'd have felt better sticking to the maximum 1 year OCI that nearly all manufacturers mandate

That's why it's getting a genuine Hyundai filter, because I don't wanna hear it

And it's getting 5w30, because short trip fuel dilution 🤷‍♂️

It's the same strategy I use with my other neighbor with a even more failure prone '11 2.4 Theta

They get OEM filters and bumped up to full synthetic 5w30

I don't think I'm harming anything, and according to both manuals, they let you choose between 5w20/30

Some new cars call for periodic maintenance only every 5,000 or even 7,500 miles. Hyundai still requires it every 3,000, it appears. I wonder why?

Hyundai was notorious for denying warranty claims if a car did not receive the scheduled service, even if it was missed by only a few miles.

If that air bag light is staying on, she needs to take it to the dealer ASAP.
I don't know about the new Hyundai's but the older ones would let you change the oil change intervals in the menu. I'm assuming that this one came with the preselected 3K oil change interval, assuming you can still change it on the newer models.

To most people out there, a vehicle is simply an "appliance" to get them from A to B, and even though extended maintenance intervals are a marketing ploy in some way, it also leads to problems because people simply refuse or fail to perform simple tasks, like check oil and fluid levels. Personally, I'm all for shorter drain intervals so there's an opportunity, at the very least, to check over the basics.

I mean, 4700 miles in 15 months isn't exactly extreme usage, but I'd have felt better sticking to the maximum 1 year OCI that nearly all manufacturers mandate
Remember this is a rule so automakers don't have to deal with customers complaining about the car not telling them to change the oil. The oil doesn't go bad in 1 year.

Remember this is a rule so automakers don't have to deal with customers complaining about the car not telling them to change the oil. The oil doesn't go bad in 1 year.
Yes many owners are lazy. They think vehicles don't use oil and they only need oil changes when they go to the dealer to get it done! I know a few people like that.

View attachment 68993

My neighbor asked me about her 2020 Elantra 2.0 I4 NU w/IVT

She claimed "cup of ☕" and attention level low

After some back and forth jokes, I educated her on the DAW system this cars equiped with

The Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system is designed as a safety feature to help reduce drowsy or inattentive driving. The DAW displays a bar graph that is intended to represent the driver's attention and fatigue level while driving.

She took delivery of it 6/2020, it's yet to have any scheduled service (see picture)

Hyundai gives you free maintenance for 3y/36k these days, but apparently the dealers service department is inconvenient to her schedule 🙄

Hyundai recommends maximum 1y/7.5k between oil changes

It'll probably get it's first oil change next weekend (9/2021) 😞🙄🤷‍♂️😥🤬

...it's at the low mark on the stick ☠️

AND, it's got an open recall for piston ring issues leading to consumption and engine failure (apparently a thing with some MY18-MY21 NU 2.0 MPI engines?)

Recall 203 – Improperly Heat-Treated Piston Oil Rings – 2019-2020 Hyundai Elantra, 2019-2021 Kona & Veloster

So next weekend it's getting a genuine Hyundai filter, PP 5w-30, and a cabin filter

Washer fluids bone dry

God help us 🥺
A spun bearing, a fat bill and denial of warranty may be a wake up call for her...
I hope this new Elantra doesn't develop oil burn already...

Are you implying you're going to service her car on your weekend because the free Hundie service isn't convenient with her schedule??

I'm afraid I'd advise her how important it is to have Hundie service the car ASAP and send her on her way. This looks like one of those deals a guy stays away from.

If this car has issues later guess who's in the middle of it?

Are you implying you're going to service her car on your weekend because the free Hundie service isn't convenient with her schedule??

I'm afraid I'd advise her how important it is to have Hundie service the car ASAP and send her on her way. This looks like one of those deals a guy stays away from.

If this car has issues later guess who's in the middle of it?
I mean, I'm charging?
It's more of a pay me for the convenience of driving the car 6 houses up the street vs 45 minutes plus sitting in the waiting room all day (yes they routinely take all day for an oil change/tire rotate)
I've finally matured past doing things for costish
And she's not being that facetious with the inconvenient schedule, I called Island Hyundai
They've got nothing till Thanksgiving 😬
Now I assume she could've got something if she'd made the appointment further in advance, or you know last year
All dealers of all makes are booked solid in my area, my local Ford dealer wanted me to drive Project Milan with the claymore Takata drivers airbag for 12+ months because of lack of techs, other dealers I called flat out refused new customers

It beats working on her old vehicle ('99 Pathfinder)

Take her to work and you take her car to the dealer for service. That is safer for you and her. Drive it very carefully to the dealer.

If they've nothing till Thanksgiving why suggest driving her to work and taking her car to the dealer for service?

+1 on the steer clear because (from what I can tell) you're unable to make her understand.
You'd have to yell and throw ice water on her to get her "auto-attention" circuits activated.....and even then.

If they've nothing till Thanksgiving why suggest driving her to work and taking her car to the dealer for service?

+1 on the steer clear because (from what I can tell) you're unable to make her understand.
You'd have to yell and throw ice water on her to get her "auto-attention" circuits activated.....and even then.
Oh she understands she screwed up
Now...
This has been a very rough year for this individual, and for many in my circle
I can barely get my suit and formal clothes to the cleaners before I need them again for another funeral
Use your imagination why😕
She's a grown woman, so it's not like it absolves her of responsibility, but I kinda see how it happened
Auto maintenance which the layperson struggles with during good times, the pandemic really pushed it to the back burner
Of all places, this forum should know about that
Now that I think about it, the bottom of my street isn't exactly level, maybe my quick dipstick check wasn't accurate, maybe it isn't low on oil
Sounds perfectly normal at cold start and idle
I'll recheck when level before I change it on the weekend

Back