Some oil prices are lower than several years ago

I hear people talking about that oil, I don't know anything about it.. have you ever seen a VOA on that? I could not find one?

I'm old enough to remember solid metal, 1 quart oil cans that came 24 cans to the case, and required a metal piercing spout to open them..... And once you did you had to add it all, or throw the rest out. And back then no one remotely cared where you dumped it.

Havoline 6qt was $19.x at Wal-Mart few weeks ago.
I got 2 boxes of:
PRO-DS Full Syn 5W-30 Dexos2, API SP, GF-6 ... it should be good!
they had lots of 5W-20 same orice.

I'm old enough to remember solid metal, 1 quart oil cans that came 24 cans to the case, and required a metal piercing spout to open them..... And once you did you had to add it all, or throw the rest out. And back then no one remotely cared where you dumped it.
Which is why I carried a spout in my car - never knew if you needed to add a quart while out and about, and you needed a way to puncture the metal can, and then pour. Sure, you could use a can opener, but it was hard to manage the flow from that, the spout was much easier.

But I thought it was 12 to a case… 3 by 4…

Which is why I carried a spout in my car - never knew if you needed to add a quart while out and about, and you needed a way to puncture the metal can, and then pour. Sure, you could use a can opener, but it was hard to manage the flow from that, the spout was much easier.

But I thought it was 12 to a case… 3 by 4…
Some were 12, but many "service station brands" were 24 to the case. Phillips "Trop Artic", Shell "X-100", and Standard "LDO", (Long Drain Oil), were some that came in a 24 case. I'm not sure, but I think even "Arco Graphite" came in the larger cases. (That stuff lasted about as long as Disco music). This was back when they were changing their name from Sinclair to ARCO.

Then, many brands changed over to metal end caps, with cardboard bodies. (I think Valvoline and Standard were two of the first to do that). But there were no screw top, plastic 1 quart bottles until quite a while later.

Most everyone back then carried a spout wrapped in an oily rag in their trunk. Usually in the center of the spare tire so it didn't roll around.

I was just talking about that yesterday, then it got cut down at 12 cans to case.. LOL!!

I remember changing oil with my pop when I was much younger. We had a rusty but functional metal spout we'd use to pierce 1qt Quaker state cardboard containers with metal ends. Like big frozen oj containers.

We've come a long way since. I just serviced the Impala with a Walmart purchased 12qt rack pack. Opening and setting up the package was easy. There was enough room to just rest the carton on the engine with the spout over the fill inlet. She swallows 6qts at a time. Doesn't consume any oil between changes. So I popped the remaining oil on the shelf with the spout pointing up for later oil change.

I'll pick up and store another filter for her later. I got the rack pack for $50 flat, out the door.

Edit: You can't buy 5qts of singles for same money today. And I remember too when it was oil shopping day... they had no 5qt jugs or singles of Mobil-1 in the viscosity needed or Dexos spec.

Back