Some observations between AC Delco, Mobil 1 and Bosch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Autozone tonight looking over some oil filters and comparing design and construction attributes. The AC Delco has the largest entry holes between the three with the Bosch having the smallest. The Mobil 1 is flat out heavy, being what felt like twice the weight of the AC Delco. I should point out that all three were for the same application.

Question: Am I right to assume that the larger entry holes permit the greatest amount of oil flow?

Question: Do you guys have any idea why the mobil 1 is so much heavier?

Larger holes will provide more flow if there are the same number of them. But the question has to be asked "are the smaller holes a restriction?" Probably not.

M1 filters have a very thick can(for higher burst strength) which would account for most of the weight difference.

The inlet holes are relative to the outlet ( threaded) area.

The Mobil 1 filter is designed for higher burst and collapse. Not only is the can thicker but so is the baseplate assembly ( the part of the filter with the holes and by-pass/anti-drain ).

Hey thanks for the replies guys.
smile.gif

I've been using AC Delco's in both my GMC and Buick since they were new. I have never had any problems with them; no start up noise or anything like that. Another thing I noticed about the AC Delco last night was that it has a slightly thicker seal and being distinctively wider.

What are the bad things about AC Delco filters? Is there anything I should know? I can pretty much get any of the brands mentioned on this board, so is there any forseen reason to switch over to a different brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back