Some good modern rock songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Volbeat and Ghost are more "modern day" kind of "Rock".

Greta Van Fleet, Halestorm, Highly Suspect, I Prevail, are all good.

Lots of good stuff still coming from 3 Days Grace and Shinedown.

Who is this guy ??? I love you !!! We must be twins. Volbeat is really good. Their older stuff has a big rockabilly influence, along with some death metal, but their newer stuff omits the screaming for a more traditional rock / rockabilly. Greta Van Fleet is awesome, and agree they are a lot like Zeppelin. Disturbed from front to back- I have all their stuff, but they got a lot of converts with their cover of " Sound of Silence " which is a departure from their traditional sound.
Ghost - has more of a Euro sound, and I find I love about 50% of their stuff, and hate the rest, but there is no denying they are talented. Supposedly they are quite funny live. I also like the symphonic metal bands in Europe like Nightwish, Within Temptation, and my wife really likes them as well, which is a bonus because I can turn off that easy listening 80's crap that she likes. In Flames is a bit harder. I like the Asking Alexandria latest release, which has been getting a lot of airplay.

In Flames - very intricate metal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylfn0o66jwM
Halestorm fans will like Within Temptation , maybe Nightwish -
Within Temptation - Faster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caENELmIXvE
Nightwish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdhXxxWREo - had some limited airplay in US but was all over Europe for many years.
Asking Alexandria - Alone in a room - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHb8AJDR5Y

Originally Posted by Linctex
Volbeat and Ghost are more "modern day" kind of "Rock".

Greta Van Fleet, Halestorm, Highly Suspect, I Prevail, are all good.

Lots of good stuff still coming from 3 Days Grace and Shinedown.

Yes! Papa Roach has some good new stuff out, and I've been rocking Beartooth a lot lately. I like Nonpoint and Sevendust also

Funny when I saw this thread title I immediately thought of Volbeat. Glad to see some other guys mention them, they're excellent.

I'm 41 and grew up on the hair bands, GnR, Metallica, then into the 90s with Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc. Got into Iron Maiden way later than I should of. Also like old Motown & CCR thanks to my dad, and also like the older era classic/southern rock. I guess since Volbeat was the only band that jumped to mind for "modern" rock music I am well into the nostalgia stage of life
smile.gif

FWIW I thought Death Magnetic was great but Hardwired to Self Destruct was meh. Maiden's Book of Souls is great too. Some of those old guys still put out good new music. Alice in Chains was awesome live last summer.

I forgot to link some actual songs. Try "Still Counting" and "Wild Rover of [censored]" by Volbeat:

jeff

Last edited:
Foo Fighters are my pick for best current rock band. Dave Grohl is a class act and one helluva musician.

Volbeat have a couple songs that rip.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Black Label Society (been around a bit) and
Bring me the Horizon (latest album)

are pretty good.

BLS is one of my favorite bands, Pantera is my all time favorite as they were local & I personally knew the Abbott Brothers......They were Ford guys that liked to run over stuff in their F-150's & Town Cars.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

are pretty good.

BLS is one of my favorite bands,
For someone who's never heard BLS before, which album would you suggest I try first?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

are pretty good.

For someone who's never heard BLS before, which album would you suggest I try first?

Mafia
The Blessed HellRide
Hangover Music

Zac Wilde was/is one of Ozzies guitarist, and is awesome (and alive, which he wasn't going to be touring with Ozzie).

Zac Wilde was/is one of Ozzies guitarist, and is awesome (and alive, which he wasn't going to be touring with Ozzie).

One of my new Facebook friends (who I have never met in person but know from the Corvette world online) has a guitar that was given to him by Zakk Wilde after one of his concerts! Since I didn't really know much about my new friend I asked him if he knew how to play the guitar and he mentioned that he has some videos on his Facebook profile. I watched some and the dude is incredible!! He can shred better than some professional guitarists, I was blown away.

24297425_10214767601572713_7865430355908725078_o.jpg

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Greta Van Fleet is awesome, and agree they are a lot like Zeppelin.

A lot of the time Josh Kiszka sounds just like Robert Plant. Other times, he sounds like Axl Rose. Last night on SNL, I could swear I was listening to Geddy Lee and Rush.

are pretty good.

1919 Eternal would get my vote.....Though "Blessed [censored] Ride" is a close 2nd!

At 50 yo, I'm stuck in the music I grew up with...mainly Rush, Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Boston, etc.
As others have mentioned, Volbeat. I actually bought their last CD, Seal the Deal and Lets Boogie, which is an extremely rare thing for me to do nowadays.
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King - awesome song!
Alterbridge: Addicted to Pain, Ties that Bind, Before Tomorrow Comes - good songs!

I do keep my ears open and occasionally come across something that I like. I view a YT channel, Frog Leap Studios, because he does metal remakes of songs. Only like a couple, but s few a really cool!

Originally Posted by Dudemanmaximus
Take a listen to Clutch. Great band good ol blues based heavy rock and good sense of humor.

Going to see them live in a couple months.

Our Last Night is a band that I've stumbled across last year...Have some good stuff of their own, but have bene able to engage the family with their covers...

That's the Spirit. Very good. Thanks for the recommendation.

QP...have you done any Zombie (White Zombie and later Rob Zombie) ?

As an aside, my faves at the moment are Neo Celtic Pagan folk...OMNIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back