solar set up

Messages
13,459
Location
North Carolina
What do you guys think of this 50w solar kit? I want to use it to power lights in a 12x24 shed and charge rv and mower batteries in the winter. I have a spare deep cycle rv battery group 31. Bigger than i need, but its what i have. I'm thinking of wiring 12v lights in the shed with a switch from the batt. Or 110v lights with a small inverter. Thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWK9Z7Q/ref=twister_B07L8T8TTC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
 
Messages
1,034
Location
dayton oh
for a little more get a 100w renogy or rich solar panel. a $15 pwm controller and a mc4 cable to bring power to the controller. sae connectors scream cheap.seen too many failures with them. use anderson powerpoles for your loads configured in the ARES/RACES standard. are you lucky enough for one of your roof faces to point south with no obstructions? bonus if it sits close in angle to your latitude.
 

spasm3

Thread starter
Messages
13,459
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by kc8adu
for a little more get a 100w renogy or rich solar panel. a $15 pwm controller and a mc4 cable to bring power to the controller. sae connectors scream cheap.seen too many failures with them. use anderson powerpoles for your loads configured in the ARES/RACES standard. are you lucky enough for one of your roof faces to point south with no obstructions? bonus if it sits close in angle to your latitude.
Thanks, my building is partially wooded but the front of it faces southwest, it gets a lot of full sun. Do i need 100w panel? I was trying to keep the panel from being so large. I only want lights if i need to get something at night, i don't work in there at night, i usually roll out my table saw. Its just for tool and implement storage. Has a lot of light on it now at 18:55:00. And its cloudy here.

IMG_20200419_185514962.jpg
 
Last edited:
Messages
207
Location
WA
You can buy motion sensor solar lights for less than $10.00 Walmart. They only stay on for about 30 seconds if they don't detect movement. You can get better ones for about $35.00 that stay on much longer, the amount of time is adjustable. I have many, I set them up for area lighting at night, plus in outbuildings similar to yours. No extra batteries, no flipping switches, no buying wires and other mounting stuff. Open the box, screw it in place and you're done.
 
Last edited:

gathermewool

Site Donor
Messages
9,016
Location
New England
Originally Posted by spasm3
I only want lights if i need to get something at night, i don't work in there at night, i usually roll out my table saw. Its just for tool and implement storage. Has a lot of light on it now at 18:55:00. And its cloudy here.
You also mentioned charging batteries all winter. Will one panel and one battery cover that need? What about when that battery dies or some other component of the solar system let's you down. Again, why not just run 110 out to the shed???
 

spasm3

Thread starter
Messages
13,459
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by spasm3
What do you guys think of this 50w solar kit?. Thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWK9Z7Q/ref=twister_B07L8T8TTC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's very over-priced... You can get the individual parts for about half that amount. There's some really amazing deals on solar components right now if you look around. As an aside. My entire ranch is powered by 6,800 watts of take-down panels I bought for $50 each.
If you have any brand recommendations, I would appreciate it.
 
Messages
245
Location
Tonville, Colorado
Spasm. Home Depot has some nice solar stuff, mostly "Grape Solar" brand. I've bought several items of theirs and have been pleased with the warranty and quality. H.D. will ship to home or local store for free. Here is a nice one hundred watt kit for only a little more than the 50 on Amazon. It's also scalable with the ability to add additional panels in the future. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-S...Silicon-Panel-Kit-GS-100-BASIC/205764075
 

Nick1994

$50 Site Donor
Messages
13,609
Location
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 100 watt solar panel from Amazon, was about $90. Then I bought a $15 solar charge controller and wired it myself, very simple. I use it to charge car batteries and my ATV battery.
 
Messages
1,034
Location
dayton oh
have a building on land out in the boonies our group uses for storage of projects,car work,parties,ect. it has a 2kw system and a forklift battery. i added a 100w panel to create a battery maintainer system and when there actively run a 100w hf radio. keeps all the batteries in a rack up over the winter. any battery in anything gets put on the system. if someone goes up there and wants to play on hf the maintained batts support the radio.
 
Messages
72
Location
Festus, MO
Originally Posted by spasm3
Do i need 100w panel? I was trying to keep the panel from being so large. I only want lights if i need to get something at night, i don't work in there at night, i usually roll out my table saw. Its just for tool and implement storage.
Your standard eBay / Amazon 100w panel really isn't much larger, can be had for under $100 plus a 10-amp charge controller. Do you need 100-watts? I'd rather have the extra power coming in and not need it, than to wish I had it on a less-than desirable day. In full sun, you'll have at least 5-amps steadily coming in during peak hours. Should have no trouble running lights and topping off batteries over the winter.
 
Last edited:
Messages
4
Embellishing different spots at home or in the workplace with the best solar disk lights can create a stunning look. It is made with a disk-shaped light that comes with short stakes affixed to it. You can instantly push it flat on the soil, particularly on the border of an outdoor space that requires lighting. This type of solar lighting is economical in the long run, not solely because there are several options of reasonably priced and quality solar disk lights on the market, but also because it does not make your electric bills high.
 
Top