So I finally jumped on the Amsoil wagon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Garak
Summer always negatively impacts my mileage, since my right foot gets inexplicably heavier.
wink.gif

That may be true, Garak, but remember I have N/A Subarus in my stable. The only time I can break all 4 tires loose and/or feel like I'm Ken Block is when there's at least an inch or two of snow on the ground.

Gota put a turbski on them subies

BOF, it all depends. Since the car is relatively new to me and I haven't yet done a UOA, I'm going to take a gamble on the quality of the Amsoil and pull a dipstick tube sample at 10k as long as I don't have to add a bunch of oil during that time. Factory OCI is 7.5k, so that's why I'll test at 10k and go from there. If TBN and viscosity are still in range, I'll probably sample again at 5k intervals to see how long I can stretch it.

For me to hit the break-even point on cost between Amsoil and my normal oils, the OCI will have to end up somewhere in the 18-22k mile range, which I'm not sure it will do (but I'm definitely down to see if it will!). If it gets to 15k and it's still as quiet as it is now, and the UOA shows viscosity and TBN are still sufficient, it may be worth not making the extra trip under the car and spending a little more than double. I used a Fram Ultra with this fill, in the expectation that for this OCI the engine is now "sealed" until either the dipstick level drops to the "L" mark, or a UOA shows viscosity/TBN is a concern to continue.

I just posted a UOA at 6K miles (10K KM) there was lots of life left so I'm going to continue pushing it until Terry tells me the oil is no longer fit for duty. He was happy with the results posted.

I ran SS in both our vehicles (15 Tacoma and 18 CRV). The Tacoma saw 10K oci and the CRV follows the olm about 7500 miles. Started using XL and going back to six month changes on the Tacoma.

I have thought about running amsoil. Some questions on it. Is it advisable to run a bypass filter or change filters ever so often if your going to push over 10k? Concerns are motorcraft filters on my f150 and if they would hold up to that kind of milage. Suppose i can go with an amsoil filter, how long in reality would that last before getting plugged up from residual crap it flushes out. This is probobly my only concern. Sure, amsoil can go 25k. But can the filter? I can understand the idea behind what they are doing for guys that have a clue, but alot of people that would actually purchase because it says one year or 25k miles would neglect even checking their oil for 25k because it says it on the bottle and that would lead to failure. My
49.gif

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
I have thought about running amsoil. Some questions on it. Is it advisable to run a bypass filter or change filters ever so often if your going to push over 10k? Concerns are motorcraft filters on my f150 and if they would hold up to that kind of milage. Suppose i can go with an amsoil filter, how long in reality would that last before getting plugged up from residual crap it flushes out. This is probobly my only concern. Sure, amsoil can go 25k. But can the filter? I can understand the idea behind what they are doing for guys that have a clue, but alot of people that would actually purchase because it says one year or 25k miles would neglect even checking their oil for 25k because it says it on the bottle and that would lead to failure. My
49.gif

I believe amsoil has a synthetic media filter that can run a full 25k

Bluesubie, this is an 07 Impreza 2.5i. I've also got an 05 Outback. Other than rear suspension, mechanically they're about as close to identical as two different car models can be.

BigShug, Amsoil doesn't have anything in 20mm thread anymore that can run 25k. They're all the "cheaper" EaK filters that are only rated for 15k; I have no qualms running the FU to 25k if the UOAs show the oil can go that far.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Bluesubie, this is an 07 Impreza 2.5i. I've also got an 05 Outback. Other than rear suspension, mechanically they're about as close to identical as two different car models can be.

BigShug, Amsoil doesn't have anything in 20mm thread anymore that can run 25k. They're all the "cheaper" EaK filters that are only rated for 15k; I have no qualms running the FU to 25k if the UOAs show the oil can go that far.

That's correct, my mistake got my numbers mixed up

Originally Posted by BigShug681

I believe amsoil has a synthetic media filter that can run a full 25k

But even Amsoil SS fine print says to cut the time and miles if meeting anything that qualifies as severe conditions. It is a pretty easy line to cross regarding severe service in just about any owners manual.

Just my leaving the house in any of my vehicles qualifies a severe service by both the OEM of my vehicles and Amsoil's data pages. 2 miles of gravel road to the nearest hard road.

I'll stick with Schaeffer. Good value. Good oils.

Seems Amsoil Sulphated Ash in SS series still pose issue on modern DI engine, and I am tired with their marketing that keep promoting different weight oil for different properties.
Their NOACK for 0w20 is not that stellar as well

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Seems Amsoil Sulphated Ash in SS series still pose issue on modern DI engine, and I am tired with their marketing that keep promoting different weight oil for different properties.

NOACK for 0-20 is 8.5. If that isnt good enough switch to the 5-20 which is 5.8. That is what I am doing.

Originally Posted by ridgerunner
Originally Posted by kr_bitog

NOACK for 0-20 is 8.5. If that isnt good enough switch to the 5-20 which is 5.8. That is what I am doing.

I know 5w20 noack is way better, but not sure the wear and high temperature protection compared with other 20 and 30 weight. In the past i had used ss0w30 and ss0w20, but i drained early due to noticeable change of engine sound after 8k usage. Personally i will rate ss as the same class with m1 ep, even though ep thickens slower and it is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back