So, how long can we go on "the million mile motor oil"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 2 jugs truck/suv at Wally World for $19 each, and was wondering, since this is supposed to be delvac, shouldn't it last practically forever in a non diesel application?

I've got a 4.3 s10 w/ 213k miles, vortec powered 99 suburban w 90k, 99 camaro SS w/ 46k, 2000 Z28 w/ 28k, and 2 zetec powered fords (72k and 42k)

What do you folks think?

It seems to do very well in diesels. Check the Diesel UOA section and just use 5w-40 for the search criteria. I believe that the TBN won't hold up as long in a gas application ..but it's still good for a very long time. I've yet to see any engine beat this oil up. You could probably do one year without too much trouble ..or at least 15k.

I just passed 3000 miles in my MB 300 SEL with 153k on it and the oil still looks new and it hasn't burned a drop yet.
fruit.gif

What amazes me is the previous owner had left the last oil in (unknown type) for 2 years & 17k miles, it was pitch black when it came out. I thought for sure this new 5W-40 would have turned black by now because of that.

I wonder how long these "extended life" motor oils hold up under short-distance urban driving conditions. They cannot prevent blowby, condensation, etc.

The additive pack is why. The high TBN is there to neutralize the acids formed from blowby gasses in the condensed moisture. If oil temps are normal, the moisture will evaporate, not keep building up anyway. I would still use UOAs to veify how the oil is holding up in your engine beyond about one year or 7500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back