Snapper Leaf Mulching Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
In years past after "The Great Oak Leaf Fall" of April, I would sharpen & install the 'bagging' blade, bag all the leaves, then compost them, then haul the compost back onto the grass and spread it around.

Very, dusty, dirty work and labor intensive given the old Snappers small leaf bag.

This year I decided it was time for an experiment. Instead I sharpened the 'mulch' blade and up'd the RPM's a bit. Not too high as I don't want to risk engine damage, but higher than usual. I have the impression that the B&S 5HP Quantum motor was only running at about MEDIUM.

So I raked all the leaves out onto the grass, set the blade height at MAX and went for it. Rather surprised how effective this was. No dried Oak leaves were now bigger than the size of my pinkie toe-nail!

I had to rake to level out a few mounds, but that was it. I had to do this twice more before all the leaves + tassles were finished falling. Then I laid down 2 #'s of nitrogen/1000 sqr. ft and watered it in well.

Still amazed that big piles of tough oak leaves where shredded into teeny, tiny bits like this. The 'bagging' blade paled in comparison regarding 'bulk' reduction. I was left with much more volume that I had to hand carry/drag to the compost bins.

Due to the recent rains, the turf soil feels a bit soft, the 'leaf mulch' has covered the St. Augustine's stolons & runners, keeping them moist and protected from the Sun, and the grass is a deep, emerald green due to the fertilizer.

The next greatest part is the HUGE reduction in time & labor & personal dirt retention. Filling all three bins takes about 180 cu. ft. and lots of time to build each pile to 5' high. Further, I was exhausted and there went a whole weekend afternoon.

My fears and being told 'they won't break down' quickly fell to a simple experiment: Try it. Then evaluate. I did. I have. It worked fine!

I think I'm done with the bi-annual composting routine....

Live and learn.
I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier.

Last Fall, I went around the neighborhood and picked up 16 large plastic bags people filled with leaves.
I dumped them out on my lawn and kicked them around.
Then pushed my Toro Mulching Mower over them.
Each bag of leaves was pulverized in 5 minutes.

Shredded leaves is one ingredient to a healthier lawn.

I have a older 6.5 Lawnboy with extra blades for mulching and works great for the major fallout I get with Ash, Maple and Cotton wood. Herd them up a bit with the rider first as over an acre is more than I wish to walk 22 inches at a time

your brigs has a governor. It will not over-speed. In fact, it needs to run at max RPM when mowing for proper air flow at load and splash lubrication. It will last longer and mulch better.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
your brigs has a governor. It will not over-speed. In fact, it needs to run at max RPM when mowing for proper air flow at load and splash lubrication. It will last longer and mulch better.

Rod

The governor kicks in at 3600 rpm. Anything over 3100ish rpm is "over speed". Most are set at about 2850 rpm, give or take. They are easy to adjust up or down.

Roger that. I'm the only one who doesn't put out 10, 20, 30 bags of leaves out during the Spring. "Soil" here is lousy. Local 'manic-organic' outfits want $45/cu yrd + delivery for 'boutique' compost. That's nuts. Thus, I made my own.

My compost temp gauge went Tango Uniform, so I used a 24" piece of 1/2" rebar instead. Couldn't hold onto the end for more than 2 sec. before you had to let go. Plenty hot to kill weed seeds, etc.

This evening, I fertilized (1 # Nitrogen/1000 sqr. ft), then aerated/watered using my water drill in the minimaly covered areas, then watered all in for 25 min. This should give it a boost. I'll evalutate after two weeks.

Just like yogurt, you need to "start" the compost pile, with a little compost.

Sprinkle a small bag of topsoil lightly over the yard, so the bacteria will have a starting point....

I did do this to encourage the leaf-mulch to break down. Also regularly fertilizing & watering the bare spots to encourage them to fill in. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back