Snap-On Gold Hex/Torx bits vs. Competition

A few people have advised me that Snap-On's gold (heavy-duty) Hex and Torx Bits are superior to the competition for everyday use. At least for non-extraction purposes.

Supposedly the gold coating is the same coating (titanium nitride) that is used on drill bits and allows for better wear characteristics. Fitment of the bit is also supposed to be better since they are on the larger end of spec.

Are there any truth to those comments or is it all fanboy BS?

Last edited:
$200 for this? Not my money. They are good but no better than Stahlwille in fact the Stahlwille are equal to or better than and a much better value.

A few people have advised me that Snap-On's gold (heavy-duty) Hex and Torx Bits are superior to the competition for everyday use. At least for non-extraction purposes.

Supposedly the gold coating is the same coating (titanium nitride) that is used on drill bits and allows for better wear characteristics. Fitment of the bit is also supposed to be better since they are on the larger end of spec.

Are there any truth to those comments or is it all fanboy BS?
It's a been a couple years, but the gold torx bits had to be hammered in to fastener. If there was any gunk, it also wouldn't fit right. I think Snap-on used a proper sized bit, added the coating, and then the bit is slightly oversized. However, that was a couple years ago and maybe they are fine now.

What failures with bit sockets or fasteners are you having?

I never saw how they were better than any other good brand, especially for the price. I'm sure AutoMechanic is all googly eyed over them because of the free socks though.

What failures with bit sockets or fasteners are you having?

I never saw how they were better than any other good brand, especially for the price. I'm sure AutoMechanic is all googly eyed over them because of the free socks though.
No failures in particular. My "best quality" hex bits are the Proto (MAC) RBRT ones, but I am not sure if I should be using those on good condition fasteners.

I've been told the same thing about the Snappy golds: they're supposed to be hammered in because they are slightly oversize.

I have a set and I will say the few times I've used them it did seem they wouldn't fit a fastener in good condition unless I tapped them in.

I set up a search on ebay for whatever I want. I don't pay SnapOn truck prices, but even so it's not like Snappy is inexpensive in the secondary market. It's surprisingly easy to find sealed-package stuff for considerable savings, though.

In the meantime I use an inexpensive Neiko set for 99% of Torx, then break out (and hammer in) the Golds if I need to. The Stahlwiles may very well be a better value....

edit: I was speaking Torx only. For hex I've never seen a good reason to invest in Snappy. Hex typically won't break, Torx loves to snap off (pun??). I'd just get some Williams or GP or quality brand of your choice in hex.

Last edited:
I have used the Gold ones before whenever I was near my coworkers box and not mine. They seem to do ok. I never had to hammer one in before but his are pretty worn out especially the T20 and T25. For me I don’t see a reason to spend big bucks on them. I’ve had my Capri master set for a good while now and never had one fail or be a loose fit. For the price you can’t beat them. I use them just about everyday. I was wailing on one the other day on something really stuck no slippage, rounding out or anything. I loved them so much I even bought an extra H17 for my beetle to have at home.

Good joke drtyler about the socks though. Still been out of stock since I got the last ones LOL.

Project Farm test shows Wera being the strongest but are expensive it also shows Wiha being the strongest at a reasonable price. Snap on wasn't tested

I have used the Gold ones before whenever I was near my coworkers box and not mine. They seem to do ok. I never had to hammer one in before but his are pretty worn out especially the T20 and T25. For me I don’t see a reason to spend big bucks on them. I’ve had my Capri master set for a good while now and never had one fail or be a loose fit. For the price you can’t beat them. I use them just about everyday. I was wailing on one the other day on something really stuck no slippage, rounding out or anything. I loved them so much I even bought an extra H17 for my beetle to have at home.

Good joke drtyler about the socks though. Still been out of stock since I got the last ones LOL.
I have the Capri set as well and it has been a great tool for a good price. No Snap on for me anymore.

I’ve got one of these, T45 bought for GM sump plugs and it got annoying having to tap it in all the time. Definitely a tight fit even on a new sump plug. The tips got a bit of wear on it now (13-14 years use) It’s never snapped or rounded off, the chrome has came off though it’s been used so much.

Also for hex there's a bunch of products for problematic heads like the Sock-It-Outs (common among machinists) and AP used to make a really cool set (metric only) with an eccentric cam tip.....the theory being the lower tip twists slightly off-axis of the upper part and the tool effectively wedges in the socket head.

I only put the AP to the test once so far and it didn't work, but if I recall it was a shallow button head. I still like the concept but not sure if it works.

As I get more into motorcycles (where hex head bits are EVERYWHERE), I can see something like this being a worthwhile investment (in that line of work).

My bit sets are a little US SK, and a mix of Taiwan production brands, all Sunex for the impact bits, plus 3 sets of Bondhus tall T drivers (Torx, SAE and Metric, ball end in the larger sizes). All have been fine on even sticky fasteners in good to so-so condition, though I've had a few fasteners that were pre-rounded-out by a previous owner or mechanic, and needed drilling. Maybe The Critic's Proto (MAC) RBRT could have removed a few of those, some were hopeless, though.

I may get my teenager to price that gold set with a student discount... but yeah for the list price on the web vs my needs, I would pass.

My hex bits are the old Kobalt USA made by KD tools. When they stopped carrying those and offered me an entire new set of their nee Taiwan Kobalt line as an exchange I said no and just started buying the gold bits(just the bit itself which was considerably cheaper than the whole socket/bit assembly)off the snap on truck to replace them as they broke. I never had to warranty one of the gold bits.

Last edited:
Back