SN+ DEXOS 1 / Gen 2 Oils You Are Having Success With ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Define "success".
21.gif

My ride has been spot on perfect with ANY/ALL of the various oils I have used so far in it's life.
(Castrol Edge 5W-20 EP, M1 5W-20 EP, Motul 300V 5W-30, Ravenol REP 5w-30, Ravenol DXG 5W-30, and the current M1 0W-20 EP)

But only the bolded ones above are D1G2 certified oils I've used (not sure if the Motorcraft 5W-20 factory fill was D1G2??).
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
I can't tell the difference between A.C. Delco, Napa Syn, Kendall, and Pennzoil Syn Blend.

LOL and neither can anyone's engine.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I can't tell the difference between A.C. Delco, Napa Syn, Kendall, and Pennzoil Syn Blend.

If I scribble-magic-marker all the labels and paint all the jugs the same color, I can't tell any differences either.

Mostly I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 in our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer because it met the low calcium level to combat LSPI even before the dexos1 Gen 2 specs hit the market. I did 2 UOA's using it, 1 for 7,000 miles of high speed summer driving and the other for 6,200 mi of everyday NJ winter driving. Both showed good/low metal wear numbers. The summer run stayed in grade, though it lost some. The winter run dropped into the upper 20 wt category, not by much though. It's VOA viscosity is 11, the NOAK is 10, has an ACEA A5/B5 rating. I also did an UOA for a run of Motorcraft 5W-30, which Ford uses for this engine. The UOA was for 4,275 mi., late summer through fall, not extreme weather temps at all. While the wear metal numbers again were good the viscosity dropped well into a mid 20 weight category, much more than the Mobil 1, even in the winter run. Besides I have six 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 5W-30 I got for ~$11-12/each after the MIR, so I'm going to keep using it for awhile
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Whimsey
Low wear numbers may be good, but how is carbon buildup doing? Is your oil now/currently turning black soon after an OCI?

I have no visually easy way to determine the build up on the intake valves. At ~38,000 miles it still runs like new. Other than replacing the head I don't think Ford has any approved method of cleaning valve build up if it causes problems. At least I have till 125,000 miles to see if there is an issue. We always use top tier fuel, mainly Shell, so maybe that will help. On the dip stick the oil doesn't go black, even after 7,000 miles. However in a 6 quart bucket it does look darker than my Ford 4.6 V-8 and the 2.0 Zetec does, both port fuel injected engines. If this matters at all there is a "bit" more "soot" on the tail pipe than with the with the PFI of the other two, but not much more. Hopefully since the early Ford EB engines they learned ways to help prevent or lessen the intake valve build up.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That vehicle has seen seven different sets of oil in 14K?

Yup, as I changed it out as soon as it reeked of fuel to the point where I could not stand it any more.

****uva lot cheaper (and less bother than, even under warranty) than a new (even factory) turbo.

I WILL run out the next summer OCI of Ravenol DXG much longer, despite it's low(ish) starting TBN, and whatever Shell V-Power smells it may obtain in that time/mileage span.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Whimsey
Other than replacing the head I don't think Ford has any approved method of cleaning valve build up if it causes problems.

As of right now, sadly, they do NOT, but that does not preclude anyone from doing a walnut shell blasting on their own, especially after it is out of warranty.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back