SN+ DEXOS 1 / Gen 2 Oils You Are Having Success With ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While many say to "just grab any SN+ D1/ Gen 2 synthetic Oils - the are all the same" ... Perhaps you feel differently with YOUR rides ?
The current fill in my 2017 GDI 2.4L Sonata is PP 5W30 SN+ D1/Gen 2 ; while quiet and smooth - however I am getting a bit of consumption (could be because PP 5W30 syn is a "thin" 30W ?)
While I tried the current M1 and EDGE 5W30's in the Sonata I did not care for them for various reasons (noise , price , etc.)
My last two to try are 1) Valvoline Advance Synthetic 5W30 (I REALLY want to like this oil !) and 2) QSUD 5W30 (Price, reasonable cleaning and "Thicker" 30W - at WM for $19 , could be all you need)).
*My OCI's are 4,000 Miles ... Your thoughts and experiences ? ... Based on UOA's - could the Valvoline Advance possibly represent the best over all value and performance in a SN+ D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oil ?

Impossible to tell. How clean it keeps the pistons is a hidden secret, and that may be the only real difference between all those decent name-brand dexos1 oils you mentioned.
If you want a better dexos1, go for M1 EP or AP, or Castrol gold bottle.

I've used sn+ d1g2 flavors of Mobil1, pppp, and Valvoline advanced syn as they have rotated through sales on amazon and Walmart.

Long term, can't really tell a difference.

At this time I use Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 with a 11.9 @100C and 3.5 HTHS as my sudo dexos 2 Gen2 oil. Wink wink.......There is no way I will let my turbo that has above 5% fuel dilution get that thin of oil SN + when I am on boost quite a bit. It is too thin with all the fuel I contend with and I have been dumping at 2,750 miles this winter. This oil, Mobil 1 ESP has a low Ca. and sodium with high mag. for an anti-LSPI friendly oil Plus VW and MB approvals. Nice.

Why are you changing your oil every 4k miles?

How much consumption are you experiencing? I doubt your consumption increased due to a thinner 30wt.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

How much consumption are you experiencing? I doubt your consumption increased due to a thinner 30wt.

OP drives a Kia. It likely specs a 3750 OCI under the "severe driving" usage. He's pushing to 4000 with a premium synthetic (likely to attempt to stay within manufacturer reqs.) Reasonable. Necessary? Debatable.

I've used the following over the last five years or so...Valvoline, TGMO, Mobil 1 EP and regular synthetic, Castrol Magnatec, Pennzoil Platinum, Super Tech synthetic, Carquest Synthetic, and Napa Synthetic.

Out of all of those oils, the Castrol Magnatec was the "best" for me during one oil change interval...it used the least amount of oil, felt smoother and was quieter. Why? I have no idea, and that's my point. I just think that sometimes, and there's no rhyme or reason to it, an oil will perform above your expectations.

When I went out and spent whatever it was on the TGMO I was expecting magic. Didn't really get it, but what was I thinking anyway...it's oil. On a few occasions Mobil 1 performed well...didn't consume, seemed quiet...on others it didn't. Right now Pennzoil Platinum seems to be "my oil", but that will change. So I'm not sure if it's just the batch of oil, if there's differences from time to time...if it's my engine, or the weather temperatures, but I find them all to be a bit inconsistent and I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Which leads me to believe it really doesn't matter much as long as you're using one of the name brands, or approved synthetic.

Originally Posted by Mainia
At this time I use Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 with a 11.9 @100C and 3.5 HTHS as my sudo dexos 2 Gen2 oil. Wink wink.......There is no way I will let my turbo that has above 5% fuel dilution get that thin of oil SN + when I am on boost quite a bit. It is too thin with all the fuel I contend with and I have been dumping at 2,750 miles this winter. This oil, Mobil 1 ESP has a low Ca. and sodium with high mag. for an anti-LSPI friendly oil Plus VW and MB approvals. Nice.

I cannot find any ESP 5W30 VOAs or UOAs with high Magnesium.
Could you point to 1-2?

For normal drain intervals there really is no difference today although I would look for an oil with the lowest Noack possible in case there is a benefit which is still largely unconfirmed for valve deposits in direct injection engines.

Originally Posted by StevieC
For normal drain intervals there really is no difference today although I would look for an oil with the lowest Noack possible in case there is a benefit which is still largely unconfirmed for valve deposits in direct injection engines.

I agre, that seems to be the "thing" now, the NOACK. So that's what I've been looking at...trying to find a decent number with one of the shelf brand oils. So far it looks like the shelf brand 0w20's run between 10-11ish.

*Penzoil Platinum Euro 5W30 is probably similar to the Mobil 1 ESP oil
Originally Posted by Mainia

*1/2 ~ 2/3rds of a quart make up oil at 2,500 miles . GDI engine in suburban driving of 20 minute minimum trip length = dark , smelly , trashed oil by the Hyundai severe service schedule of 3,750 miles (which I round up to 4K mile OCI) .
Originally Posted by gathermewool

*While there are comments that the "new" Magnatec full synthetic formulation in 5W30 is less admired than the former syn-blend of 5W30 , it will probably work fine for under
Originally Posted by Railrust
I've used the following over the last five years or so...Valvoline, TGMO, Mobil 1 EP and regular synthetic, Castrol Magnatec, Pennzoil Platinum, Super Tech synthetic, Carquest Synthetic, and Napa Synthetic.

Out of all of those oils, the Castrol Magnatec was the "best" for me during one oil change interval...it used the least amount of oil, felt smoother and was quieter. Why? I have no idea, and that's my point. I just think that sometimes, and there's no rhyme or reason to it, an oil will perform above your expectations.

When I went out and spent whatever it was on the TGMO I was expecting magic. Didn't really get it, but what was I thinking anyway...it's oil. On a few occasions Mobil 1 performed well...didn't consume, seemed quiet...on others it didn't. Right now Pennzoil Platinum seems to be "my oil", but that will change. So I'm not sure if it's just the batch of oil, if there's differences from time to time...if it's my engine, or the weather temperatures, but I find them all to be a bit inconsistent and I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Which leads me to believe it really doesn't matter much as long as you're using one of the name brands, or approved synthetic.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by StevieC

I agre, that seems to be the "thing" now, the NOACK. So that's what I've been looking at...trying to find a decent number with one of the shelf brand oils. So far it looks like the shelf brand 0w20's run between 10-11ish.

10-11 isn't bad that is still an excellent reduction from the allowable 15. I'm convinced catch cans have benefits too as well as CRC Intake cleaner designed for TGDI engines.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
If you want low Noack give 10w-30 a hard look. They generally beat the 5w by a few percent. And then you have your boutique oils...

HAHAHA now that's funny.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back