Smoothest Riding New Car?

I came here to suggest trying the Genesis G80. It has one of the softest conventional suspensions (no air bladders, just springs and shocks). Avoid the sport trim if you're looking for a couch.
I remember [when] a regular everyday 4 cyl Camry used to be a nice quiet and smooth riding car without spending the extra money on an Avalon, a Buick or stepping up to a Lexus ES. I mean, the Camry is still OK in regular LE 4 cyl trim but when you start moving up in the trim levels with low profile tires, you lose the Camryness and it becomes Camryless.

Last edited:
I remember when a regular everyday 4 cyl Camry used to be a nice quiet and smooth riding car without spending the extra money on an Avalon, a Buick or stepping up to a Lexus ES. I mean, the Camry is still OK in regular LE 4 cyl trim but when you start moving up in the trim levels with low profile tires, you lose the Camryness and it becomes Camryless.
I remember when Buick sold cars. They no longer sell sedans.

In 2011 the MSRP for a Grand Marquis was 30k... adjust for inflation this is now about 40k... so I would be looking to pay around 40k...
Well there's always a used S class. They now have Magic body control which uses cameras to scan the road in front of the car and it automatically adjusts the suspension to compensate for the bumps in the road so it's really smooth. Airmatic in general is pretty smooth, available on a lot of other models like the E class, but usually the reason I stayed away from them is because once they develop a leak, the car sits too low to drive and it's anywhere from $500 for aftermarket to $1k factory per corner to replace the air shocks. The older Mercedes S class also had ABC which was active body control also smooth but pretty expensive to maintain on a regular basis as they always developed leaks so lots of parts end up getting replaced as they age. The airmatic also had a button where you could adjust the comfort of the suspension on the fly by raising or lowering the car. Magic body control came out in 2014 I believe so it'll still hard to find a used one with that option in the 40k range.

Last edited:
I remember [when] a regular everyday 4 cyl Camry used to be a nice quiet and smooth riding car without spending the extra money on an Avalon, a Buick or stepping up to a Lexus ES. I mean, the Camry is still OK in regular LE 4 cyl trim but when you start moving up in the trim levels with low profile tires, you lose the Camryness and it becomes Camryless.
Exactly! That's why I bought a '17 LE 205/65/16 tires.

If I'd be looking for a nice and smooth riding sedan new or used I'd look for a
Mercedes C or E class on 16" or 17" wheels and on base or air suspension first.

OK, so the OLD DS9 was a lot better, with it's "Hydro Pneumatic" suspension but hey, we never got 'em anyway.
Also, don't forget, the MB S class with Active body control is NIGHTMARE to maintain, one SPECK of dirt and the whole system is sunk.
There was a thread on that here a while back. The Dealers use a special funnel to fill the reservoir, which is kept LOCKED UP in a special area to prevent contamination.

On the old DS, you could take a wheel off and still drive down the road because the hydro pneumatic (?) suspension, would compensate

If I'd be looking for a nice and smooth riding sedan new or used I'd look for a
Mercedes C or E class on 16" or 17" wheels and on base or air suspension first.
The E class hasn't had 16 inch wheels since 2005. They had airmatic way back in 2003 though. It's an option you can now add to a new E class, but then you're pushing 70k. Lots of older 2006-2013 E-550's had airmatic as standard though.

We had an 05 Volvo s60 with the smaller alloy wheels and while the looks were rather humble, it was a Great highway car.
- it was quieter than anything else I’ve been in, in its size
- the seats were the best ever
- even in naturally aspirated form, there was no wanting for more power
- no fatigue
- high 20s for mpg
- ergonomics were top notch
- you really noticed minor touches, like it would recirc for 30 seconds after using the windshield washer, the automatic climate control on the base models was the best-thought-out logic I’ve used.
- the basic FWD trim with the narrow wheels was surprisingly in the snow. And when snow turned to slush and froze into a small boulder field for 120 miles, the suspension handled the abuse without coming apart, and the interior and chassis could handle the abuse without developing rattles.
- steering was isolated yet direct. Not sure how they did that.

unfortunately, the 2nd Gen lost many of its qualities and was much more accord-like with road noise and v6-like nose heavy. I’ve no experience in the gen3 though they look beautiful.

Exactly! That's why I bought a '17 LE 205/65/16 tires.
Right!
In 2015, I almost bought the new at that time, mid cycle refresh 2015 Camry LE 4cyl(2015-17) before buying the 2015 Altima that I ended up with.
I liked the Camry however, I like the Altima better. When people ask me how I like the Altima, I tell them that it's the best Camry I've driven. :ROFLMAO:
This one felt more Camry than Accord, as the previous gen Altima had felt more Accord-ish.

I don't regret buying the Altima as it's been more reliable than my past Accord(s), Lexus' and some Toyota's. Sometimes it's just the way it works out. And the Altima is more comfortable & quieter as well. The Camry has always been a quiet & good riding car and the 2015-17 Camry was quiet once again. As from around 2007-14, it lost some Camry-ness.

My only concern with Nissan is their CVTs even though I have no issues and completely love its operation and I maintain it well(I will be performing another CVT fluid change soon). Resale value is also CRAPOLA on the Altima but, since I got $7200 knocked off the sticker(before rebate & 0% financing), I'll take it on the chin when I trade. OH WELL! 🥱

I've always like the Camry for what it is and what it stands for(quality, dependability/reliability, durability, longevity, resale etc.) and I will always, always, always consider the Camry when I am in the market(compared to its direct competition).

Mercedes Benz S-Class is by far the smoothest riding car I’ve ever driven, and probably is the smoothest riding new car you can buy other than a Rolls Royce. Better than air suspension equipped Bentley and Land Rovers, and even the top model Lexus LS/LX.

The S class is like a cloud ride that you can actually control.

If the s class is too expensive the Lexus ES and RX are also smooth riding. The LS is geared towards driving dynamics, the ES straight up a boat. Obviously not as good as a $120k Mercedes but still very nice.

Back