Smoked my first brisket today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how to smog anything much less a brisket, but I have a question: the first picture showed blacken outside but very nicely done inside, is this the way to smog a brisket and anything else ? Also, do you scrap off the black/burnt outside ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have no idea how to smog anything much less a brisket, but I have a question: the first picture showed blacken outside but very nicely done inside, is this the way to smog a brisket and anything else ? Also, do you scrap off the black/burnt outside ?

Spoken like a true Californian...congratulations.

You don't "scrap" anything off. If you're lucky, you get to eat it.

The black exterior is called the bark. It is not charred or burned. The bark is primarily a result of the meat's reaction with the spice rub. The actual color is a result of how the smoke reacts with the meat/rub. More exposure to smoke usually results in a black exterior and less exposure (or none) is a mahogany red. When you have a cut in the smoke for 16+ hours, it tends to get really dark, as opposed to something like ribs which usually only see smoke for 4-5 hours and maintain a dark red color. Pork shoulder and brisket usually come out of the smoker looking like a meteorite. Thankfully, they taste much better.

To get into the actual science, it's a result of the Malliard reaction and polymerization.
yeah-science-300x225.jpg

A great article that talks to the science:
What is Bark, and Why It Makes Us Howl for More

The burnt crunchy ends are the best part!!
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back