SmartMoney cat converter & oil comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another "upsell" is the turning of brake rotors when you buy new pads?
No confidence in that article from me.

What's wrong with that? Lots of folks here go to Yahoo for their "news".
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

Quote:
Donny Seyfer, a Colorado-based certified master technician,

More proof that they don't actually teach these guys anything about lubrication.

It just proves time and time again how technologically-ignorant most of these "so-called" master tech/senior automotive technicians we have in the motoring NA.

no wonder our market is littered with all snakeoils, turbo-fin intake addons, fuel line magnet addons, etc. and people just snap them up like hotcakes...

19.gif

Quote:
That oil change? Turns out every 5,000 miles is often enough. New oil has chemicals that eat away the catalytic converter, says Donny Seyfer, a Colorado-based certified master technician, and changing oil too often can damage that pricey part.

I guess that is why they call the website YAHOO! because it's full of Yahoo's!
smirk2.gif

That's a really bizarre statement about the oil change frequency and the life expectancy of the catalytic converter.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Another "upsell" is the turning of brake rotors when you buy new pads?
No confidence in that article from me.

Many new car MFR's and rotor MFR's recommend turning rotors only when excessive runout is measured.

(I can't think of any new car MFR that recommends turning rotors when pads are replaced.

I haven't turned the rotors in any of my cars in years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robbobster
I can't think of any new car MFR that recommends turning rotors when pads are replaced.

But some, like BMW, recommend that you always put new rotors on when installing new pads.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: robbobster
I can't think of any new car MFR that recommends turning rotors when pads are replaced.

But some, like BMW, recommend that you always put new rotors on when installing new pads.

I think it depends on how often you are changing the pads. If it's every 20k-30k miles, then turning or replacing the rotors every time is probably excessive. But on my VW the front pads have been lasting 140k miles and the rear pads about 90k miles. So I don't mind paying for new rotors each time, or buying premium pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back