Small high speed bearings?

What would be a good grease for small, high speed bearings? This is a brushless RC motor. Bearings are around 5mm x 12mm though I forget the exact size.

I’ve been using super lube MP grease which is actually not holding up particularly well. Would a typical #2 cglb high temp grease be best or should I look for something more specialized? I’ve looked at hobby greases but they seem even more generically boutique than bike greases!

I have some high speed dental bearing cleaner lube and some grease. They usually use the cleaner lube after each time they are cleaned before use. The grease is more for the slower gear driven stuff. So how often is the lube?

what is the size and rpm,,some small bearings you use oil that has a soaking wik,or possibly you can use a nlgi 1 polyurea grease.like what you use on roller blade wheels, or high speed small electric motors .

Last edited:
I would be tempted to try something like Polyrex EX. This is sounds like what it's designed for.
Thats what I've been looking at. The spec sheet doesnt look much different than Lucas extreme HD grease, which I already have....

what is the size and rpm,,some small bearings you use oil that has a soaking wik,or possibly you can use a nlgi 1 polyurea grease.like what you use on roller blade wheels, or high speed small electric motors .
5x11x4mm bearings. Stock is shielded, a lot of the ABEC 5 and 7 aftermarket units are rubber sealed, though. I believe operating speed is up to 30,000+ rpm but having a tough time verifying that.

I use to have a android app that would give an estimated rpm from the sound. Many dental turbines run at +20k rpm. I use to rebuild them and one problem you would see is carbon buildup for using a poor choice lube.

They also have ceramic bearings that are sold as 'lube free'.

dont some very high bearings use water bearings ,lubricated ??like dental drills
I have never seen a water lubed bearing. The water is for cooling the drill bit and tooth and flushing the debris. The air cools them too.

Dental handpieces (please don't call them drills :)) are usually cleaned and lubed before each use. Just a short shot of a thin synthetic lube/cleaner after the high temp cleaning.

RPM does not equal bearing speed. Calculate the speed factors for this bearing at 10K, 20K and 30K RPM. Bear in mind that a moderate speed bearing has a speed factor of about 200,000-400,000. A high speed bearing has a speed factor of 600,000 to over 1,000,000.

Regardless of what these numbers suggest, I think a lot of RC bearings are lubricated with low viscosity oils to reduce drag. Grease tends to create higher drag requiring more energy for rotation.

Back