Small carb float valve/ carb cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately i have had some atvs and mowers what have been having carb issues. My atv carb looked terrible. The pilot jet was completely clogged up with green nasty stuff that spray carb cleaner would not cut thru and the float valve would not seal. It was the advice of a small motorcycle mechanic that i go ahead and get the carb kit as apposed to cleaning it. He said it was difficult to get the float valves to seal properly after they start leaking. Well i got the kit and all is well. My 2 stroke blower has had some issues not running right and the carb was covered with a layer of what felt like a hard rubber all over everything. After i got that cleaned off and everything sprayed out it runs perfect. Well lately i have noticed my kohler CV20 oil smelling like gas. I popped the carb off and cleaned everything up really well with brake cleaner and compressed air. It really didn't look all that bad. The little float valve had a glossy layer of stuff on it and after spraying it and rubbing it lightly it looks really good. The thing that is bugging me is i know many types of rubber is not compatible with harsh brake/carb cleaners. Now my actual question. Is there a special product for cleaning the little float valves without damaging them, or will the carb/brake cleaner not harm that little cone shaped rubber piece at the end of the valve? Also, does anyone else have the same experience with the valves leaking agian once they start? Any small carb advice is welcome as i have lots of stuff and am not a carb expert. I have had pretty good luck lately cleaning stuff up and putting it back together with no ill effects but im a little worried about this little valve. I know the kohlers have a pulse fuel pump that can leak but i have read that they are very reliable and more likely after 6 yrs of use that it would be the carb that is leaking.

Last edited:
When it comes to 2 cycle engines that sit for awhile the carbs can gum up. Removing and cleaning with an overnight soak works. Just remember to never run gumout in the tank. If you do run gumout in a 2 cycle it will wash the oils off the cyclinder walls and seize the engine.

For what it's worth, the rubber end of float valves are made of Viton (last I heard). Maybe someone can comment on chemical compatibility.

I've recently run into the green gooey problem on my small motors and the corrosive results. I attribute it to E10 and not draining the fuel after the season.

Thanks, ill do some research on Viton. I know some folks are saying it is a better material for valve stem seals. Im guessing it is a good grade material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back