SM Bus Controller Unknown on Acer M1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Acer Aspire M1100-U1402A that came with Vista. I am in uncharted waters in several ways and could use some help. I considered a dual boot system with XP, but an XP computer for use at my parents if they are ill would work better. I purchased a used Sata Hardrive on Ebay and just unconnected the leads to the original hard drive and installed XP Pro. In the Device Manager SM Bus Controller is Unknown. Downloaded the limited XP Drivers from Acer with no success. Doing a Google search, there are a lot of people with the same problem, but without the solution. It seems I needed a chipset driver which Acer does not provide. Went to AMD and could not find a chipset driver (at least one that would work). Here are some specifics on my computer:

AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+(2+512 L2 cache, 2.3 GHz). Mobo just says Acer on it? Acer gives little specifics.

The computer came with ATI Radeon X1200 graphics. To complicate things I purchased an Nvidia based video card and just uninstall ed ATI drivers on the drive that runs Vista. On this hard drive I have just been using the Nvidia graphics card from the get-go. I installed Drive Detective and it could provide the driver for $29.95. I have tried everything recommended in forums where people have the same problem with out success. Acer does not support XP and I have limited knowledge. All most all of my computers were Intel based and had all the drivers at the manufacturer's website (Gateway, Compaq, Dell). With Acer, you are pretty much on your own unless the computer is in its original configuration . Thanks in advance!

I had the same problems when doing a clean install of Vista on a Gateway with an Intel Motherboard and a Q9300 Quad Processor.

After much searching found a driver that resolved the problem.

For you info you can change the settings in VISTA to look exactly like Windows XP if you desire which may be simpler?

Can you find out any info about the motherboard in device manager?

Going to Dell website for a similar product occurred to me to download drivers. I have the Acer Motherboard number, but searching provides no info or chipset drivers. My main work program is Palm 4.1 on my Clie. It does not look work on Vista and I have many years of files and appointments that I use and update daily. This is also a "learning experience". I could probably get by with the Optiplex I have at my parents, but thought this would be another option. I have to go to work. Will report back when if something changes.

Went to the Dell and downloaded chipset drivers for a Dell with a similar processor, but it did not work. The flash drive I used was the one I initially used to download the XP Drivers from Acer. I was able to install ATI Southbridge Drivers I had downloaded previously. Now I am good to go. Funny thing is I tried it before, but it did not work? Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back