Slow air leak at brim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

Hey guys

I have a small pin hole size leak at the brim of the rim. The rim is not damaged but I've been having a slow leak, I have to refill weekly. Then all of a sudden one day found it flat. Filled it up drove around for a day and at the end of the day park the car walk away and I can hear a hissing sound. It was raining so I guess the water was making the air escape sound more prominent.

Anyways do you guys thing a simple remount of the tire should fix it ? There is no damage to the rim from the outside, had the tires balanced last week and the dealership did not mention anything about the rim being bent (I'm sure the Hunter road force machine they used would catch that).

I'm trying to find a shop today that will remount the tire for me but looks like most are closed
frown.gif
Are there any pastes I can try because I moved my finger over the hissing area and it did muzzle the sound so I'm sure its a tiny a leak.

If you hear the hiss it's not tiny. Squirt some soapy water on it.

If you have aluminum rims in particular there could be corrosion at the bead mounting surface that could cause air leak issues. The tire shop will be able to grind it down to fix it.

How old is the car? Because I hang on to my cars a long time, most EVERY car I had developed rim leaks from corrosion, both aluminum and steel. I mount my own tires and I have access to grit blasting - that's how I fix the problem.

If you take it to a shop, they'll likely break the bead where it's leaking, wire wheel the corrosion, and maybe slap on some sealant before remounting the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back