Slight hesitation while starting car

This is a 96 accord 2.2 which I am getting a slight hesitation when I start the engine ... sounds like something is lacking in power or charge to crank with normal force , but it just lasts for a second then starts right up no problem... Already has a new battery ( hesitation was there before btw) and I just had the starter and alternator checked and they are OK . . Any ideas or has anybody here had the same issue ?

I would remove, clean and reinstall each B+ and ground connections. Appearing good means nothing. Any questionable cables should be replaced. On an old vehicle, I would even make up or buy a heavy cable to connect from the grounding point on the engine block to one of the starter's mounting bolts.

If the starter is original, even though it tested ok, it may need new brushes by now.

Honda starters sometimes sound like a bad battery or connection before death. My sons sounded weak for a month or so, sounded really weak on its last start then left me stranded. So if it sounds like it barely started one time, leave it on and go home.

Honda starters sometimes sound like a bad battery or connection before death. My sons sounded weak for a month or so, sounded really weak on its last start then left me stranded. So if it sounds like it barely started one time, leave it on and go home.
This. I’m not sure why but a dying Honda starter will sound like a weak battery. Heard/seen it so many times. Can’t think of any other brand of vehicle where this is so common.

If you hear a click from the starter but it doesn't turn immediately, that is the classic symptom of worn contact points in the solenoid section. There are third-party kits to replace them or you can of course replace the whole starter.

Toyotas do it too-the ‘07 Corolla in my sig did the same thing, cranking slower & slower.
The Toyotas I've owned /worked on clicked when the starter (contacts) were dying. You could try the key multiple times and it would usually work eventually. Hondas are different, they dont click and no amount of trying will make it start. I've never taken a Honda starter apart to see what happened and if it's a different issue.

If you hear a click from the starter but it doesn't turn immediately, that is the classic symptom of worn contact points in the solenoid section. There are third-party kits to replace them or you can of course replace the whole starter.

no clicking at all.. just turns over right away like usual.. except for the last week there is an initial lag or hesitation but it kicks right in.. .. also @2strokeNorthstar above mentions with Honda's there is no clicking when the starter is going bad.

I had the same problem with a 99 maxima. starter performance degraded slowly over a couple years, then one day wouldn't crank (albeit with some 200k+ miles). I swore it was the battery, but nope. replaced the starter with a brand new OEM unit and it was night/day difference in cranking power I had never heard the car crank so strong and smooth. best car i've ever owned.

my wife also had 99 Accord and it also had starter problems. I replaced with a cheap Amazon unit and it worked, but still sounded like a diseased yak. Also had issues with aftermarket alternators and distributors for same car, and random electrical gremlins that only finally went away when I replaced all these components twice.

Put a voltmeter across the battery and have someone hit the starter . Yes , I know it has a new battery .

Back