Sizing Chainsaws

Wow, we filled three pages. Thanks for all the insight !
11.gif

Last saw I bought is a Milwaukee 18 volt with a 12 AH battery. Cuts a lot of wood on one charge. No gas mix to worry about. Never
hard to start. Very powerful. With 2 batteries you could work all day. Check it out on you tube.

Originally Posted by varmint
Last saw I bought is a Milwaukee 18 volt with a 12 AH battery. Cuts a lot of wood on one charge. No gas mix to worry about. Never
hard to start. Very powerful. With 2 batteries you could work all day. Check it out on you tube.

The Milwaukee 18 volt has as much torque as my 35 cc Stihl (comparing my Stihl to my son's Milwaukee). So if battery time is not limiting for you, I would go for the Milwaukee.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I watched a you tube video of a guy cutting 10 inch logs with a Dewalt with a 16 inch blade. He got 35 cuts done one one charge.

That's good stuff ... might be next. I bought an electric this year to save wear & tear on my Stihl (and ears) … really like the electric and I have GFCI 20 amp plugs in handy places already … plenty of 12awg cords …

Originally Posted by spasm3
Also posted earlier, 1 cord per year? Definitely worth considering battery saw.

A good gas saw will be around after that battery saw is in the landfill because the batteries are dead and cost more than the saw is worth to replace.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by spasm3
Also posted earlier, 1 cord per year? Definitely worth considering battery saw.

A good gas saw will be around after that battery saw is in the landfill because the batteries are dead and cost more than the saw is worth to replace.

+1 agree and that's just one reason I wouldn't look at one.

Every single piece of OPE I have is 2 stroke. My 2 antique Lawn Boys that I use every week, Echo chainsaw, Hitachi leaf blower, and Poulan weed eater. Battery powered is nice, but like mentioned before, the cost of a replacement battery is extremely high. Even with drill drivers, you might as well just buy a new one instead of just the battery.

L8R,
Matt

For your needs, 45-55cc, 16-18" bar. Husqvarna or Stihl.

Bigger, more powerful, heavier will just be more up front $$, more work (weight, vibration) to cut wood, and more cost (fuel, chains, etc.) to own.
^^^This^^^ … I use a 16” Stihl and then do my pre split cuts (shorten) with a 15 amp Worx electric …
You can buy both for what many saws cost …

I was checking out chainsaws and for sure the 60 cc 20 to 24" inch saws are cool. Ho Ho Ho. They seem to price out at about $500 to $600. Then there are the 30 cc models that can be had for about $200 dollars. I have access to free timber from crown land with just an inexpensive permit, plus some of my own trees, but I don't use more than 1 cord per year. What category of chain saw would you recommend. The $300 to $400 difference would be equivalent to buy two cords of of split wood in my area. The trees here are Ponderosa Pine and Douglas fir that range from 12 to 16" in diameter. Also, tell us about your favourite chain saw. Thanks.

I bought a Stihl 271 this spring with a 20” bar. I also bought a 16” bar to go on the same saw. I can cut almost anything I want with this combination. It’s got great power and is light enough to handle for hours at a time.

Just my $0.02

Back