Sizes compatible with PF-61?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My new 2006 Monte Carlo uses a PF-61 size oil filter. Right now I've got a PureONE equivalent on there, but I was wondering if there are any higher capacity sizes that are compatible with the PF-61 size.

In a perfect world, the PF-52 would work in its place, but I have a feeling the 52 has metric threading and the 61 is standard, and thus won't work.

My real motivation here was to be able to use an AC Delco Ultraguard with this car.

I haven't found a larger filter than the PF-61.

I looked at the Pure One several months ago. But I didn't buy it because it has an ADBV. If your Monte Carlo has a vertical filter mount like my Chevy Colorado - which takes the same filter, no ADBV is needed.

As long as you have any engine oil passages that are located higher than the filter, an ADBV is a good idea. There's a thing called gravity.
Even if you absolutely didn't need an ADBV, having one isn't going to hurt anything.

The filter is installed (nearly) vertically, at about the same level as the oil pan, so it definately does not require an ADBV. However, I went with the Pure One because it offered (supposedly) increased media surface area as well as better filtration than the AC Delco Duraguard or the PremiumPlus.

I'd really like to use a filter with a synthetic media, but I'm certainly not going to pay Amsoil $16 for their filters, and even the M1 and K&N filters are pushing what I'm willing to pay, considering their quality (not that they're bad). I love the AC Delco Ultraguard, but its only available in UPF-52 and UPF-44, so it looks like I'm out of luck. I took a look at getting a Fleetguard filter for my car, since I've heard they're made with media similar to what goes into Amsoil filters, but it appears that Fleetguard doesn't have a PF-61 compatible size.

My real question here is to Chevy: Why change from the PF-52 size you've been using on 60*V6's for over 20 years?! The engines are even made in the same factory in New York! Argh!

A wix 51522 is the cross ref for a PF61. I have one on my 2004 chevy 5.3 right now. It is a little bigger than the stock filter it calls for so I use it. It has a partially synthetic media if you check wix's website.

Quote:

As long as you have any engine oil passages that are located higher than the filter, an ADBV is a good idea. There's a thing called gravity.
Even if you absolutely didn't need an ADBV, having one isn't going to hurt anything.

Wrong!
If you have oil passages above a vertical filter, no ADBV is neeeded.

I have a oil passage that holds approximately a half-quart. That's how much spills after puliing off a FULL FILTER.

Fleetguard LF3945
Fleetguard LF16104
The 16104 is an "upgrade" presumed to be a better synthetic media. There does not appear to be a Stratopore media in the PF61 size

I'm also liking the Baldwin version of the PF61, the B7010. Here is a reply from Baldwin on that filter...
Good Morning,

The micron rating of the B7010 is 12. We do not have a severe service version of this filter at this time and no information that there is one in process.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Gina Johnikins
Baldwin/Hastings Hotline
1-800-822-5394
Ext. 79778

I'm on the fence now wether these filters are worth the additional expense and hassle (can't just buy them at the auto parts store) versus the PureONE.

Which one? The Baldwin is available at places that support the trucking industry. It was very reasonable at around 4.00 . I don't know what the rules are concerning links to non site sponsors. PM me if you want the name of where I got mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back