Sister's 2011 VW Jetta = Wrecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sis was in an accident (her fault) and her 2011 Jetta was totaled. Both her and the driver hit were perfectly fine.

I really liked this car. This Jetta is the absolute base model, but with an auto trans. It had the very old 2.slow VW engine. The car had about 40k on it. It was slow, sure, but for a newer sedan it had the best visibility out of any car I have driven recently. The interior may have been no frills but it was all pretty well put together. Felt solid. Simple but useful design, what you expect from simple VW's. I also thought the 6 speed auto felt good, always finding the right gear.

She's getting $12k back from her insurance co. and she owes $4k on it. She is not much of a driver and wants the exact same car. I found a 2014 base Jetta just like hers, white and all, for $14,500 brand new at a dealer about 30 miles away. Looks like this will be the route she will take.

RIP little Jetta.

Didn't know you could find any decent new vehicle for that cheap... $14,500 seems like an awfully good deal at first glance.. What am i missing?

Not much really. I dont think they are offering that engine any more and it seems like a undesirable model for most shoppers.

Sad when that little amount of damage totals a newer car.Makes one want to keep buying old potentially disposable cars,because in the end,a crash would still mean "totaled" but for far less bucks.

Glad everyone's safe and no one was injured.

If she's "not much of a driver", and has already caused this accident, perhaps she should also take some extra lessons or a remedial course, for her sake and others', before buying another car?

I really just meant she doesn't care about cars. She's 26 and this is her first accident. Not something to brag about, i just never considered her a really terrible driver.

Did they ever fix the oil burning problem in those 2.slows?

I think I once read that several were shipped with incorrectly installed rings (upside down) which caused the problem....is this correct or is my memory wrong?

It's hard to believe the insurance will give $12K for a 3 year old model that can be bought new for a few grand more...

^ definitely, when car shopping, especially from a dealer, you have to lowball them and walk out at LEAST once

from the looks of it... straight shot rear ended someone.

was she....
TEXTING?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
^ definitely, when car shopping, especially from a dealer, you have to lowball them and walk out at LEAST once

from the looks of it... straight shot rear ended someone.

was she....
TEXTING?

She was lost and trying to reroute her GPS.

Glad she is ok. My GF was involved in an accident (not her fault) in her 13 Jetta and it took the blow well. She was upgraded to a '14 Jetta SE with the new 1.8T. Nice car.

Originally Posted By: jigen

I found a 2014 base Jetta just like hers, white and all, for $14,500 brand new at a dealer about 30 miles away. Looks like this will be the route she will take.

Ugh, those 2.0 Jettas. They brought back the 2-point-slow to the US just to advertise a super-low MSRP for these cut-rate, decontented Jettas.

Buying a couple-year-old Jetta with the 2.5 would be a better move, IMO.

Also, be very wary of the "base" Jetta you're considering. VW is offering a really weird "base" model that you can't find on the website, or in the brochure, but they exist.

According the website and brochure, the "S" is the lowest trimline. But it's really not. The weird "base" trim level doesn't even have a/c or a radio.

Here's a Jalopnik article on this weird, unadvertised trim level:
http://jalopnik.com/5783395/this-is-what-a-new-14000-vw-jetta-actually-looks-like

Here's a new 2014 "Jetta base" at a dealer in Washington state. It's a brand new car sitting on their lot for only $12900. It's so cheap because it lacks A/C and a stereo and is a weird trim that no one wants. The listing claims it has A/C, but it actually doesn't.
http://www.pignatarovw.com/VehicleDetail...t-WA/2122673373

8012566570.jpg

Here's another listing where there's a closeup of the stereo cleary showing there's no "A/C" button. Where the "A/C" button is on regular Jettas is occupied by the "recirculate" button.
http://www.recycler.com/details/-38765822/2013-volkswagen-jetta-base-no-a-c-or-radio
3VW2K7AJ6DM374325-9c.jpg

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: jigen

I found a 2014 base Jetta just like hers, white and all, for $14,500 brand new at a dealer about 30 miles away. Looks like this will be the route she will take.

Ugh, those 2.0 Jettas. They brought back the 2-point-slow to the US just to advertise a super-low MSRP for these cut-rate, decontented Jettas.

Buying a couple-year-old Jetta with the 2.5 would be a better move, IMO.

Also, be very wary of the "base" Jetta you're considering. VW is offering a really weird "base" model that you can't find on the website, or in the brochure, but they exist.

According the website and brochure, the "S" is the lowest trimline. But it's really not. The weird "base" trim level doesn't even have a/c or a radio.

Here's a Jalopnik article on this weird, unadvertised trim level:
http://jalopnik.com/5783395/this-is-what-a-new-14000-vw-jetta-actually-looks-like

Here's a new 2014 "Jetta base" at a dealer in Washington state. It's a brand new car sitting on their lot for only $12900. It's so cheap because it lacks A/C and a stereo and is a weird trim that no one wants. The listing claims it has A/C, but it actually doesn't.
http://www.pignatarovw.com/VehicleDetail...t-WA/2122673373

8012566570.jpg

Here's another listing where there's a closeup of the stereo cleary showing there's no "A/C" button. Where the "A/C" button is on regular Jettas is occupied by the "recirculate" button.
http://www.recycler.com/details/-38765822/2013-volkswagen-jetta-base-no-a-c-or-radio
3VW2K7AJ6DM374325-9c.jpg

I like the fact that they offer a bare bones model. Less things to break.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I like the fact that they offer a bare bones model. Less things to break.

I agree with you, to a point. I can see cutting things like power windows and some other features.

But when you're spending $12-$14,000 on a car that doesn't even have A/C or a radio, you've gone too far. That kind of money could get you a well-equipped, slightly used car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back