Simple Way to See Cleaning Effect ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I may have inadvertantly discovered a simple way to "see" the cleaning effect of Rx. Like many others have reported, I too cut open the oil filter to see if I could find any dirt after my 1st Rx application. But I saw no obvious dirt, sludge, varnish, etc., in the filter. Didn't really care at the time as I was really trying to stop a seal leak, not clean the engine.

Well, I just finished my 2nd leak application and this time saved a sample of the used oil in a clear glass jar. About 6 oz. It sat on the work bench for a week. When I disposed of the oil tonight, there was a clear layer of fine dirt left on the bottom of the jar after I poured out the oil. It was thick but eventually started to pour after the jar was tipped on its side for a half hour. It was also jet black in color with an extremely fine silt-like feel. Almost had no feel to it. I presume it's the "liquified" cleaning I've read about.

For what its worth...my experience.

That is very interesting! Thanks for posting it!! I think I will try that. I can not wait to see what I see?

hecka neat idea...i thought auto rx only worked at higher temps...hehe warm it up and see what happends. i wish i had dirty oil to play with, i got an idea, my drain pan for all my oil is filled with crud from years of oil changes...ill do it =)

Roger thank you for your post. Cutting open the filter was for owners of engines that had sludge problems, so they could visualize what was being removed (not applicable for third party abrasives,dirt,) . This is a post from "59 Vetteman"
You noticed one of the reasons that oil companies cannot duplicate Auto-Rx and put it in their motor oil. If the product was smooth (homogeneous) the working effect of it would be drastically reduced. In it's present form, it relies on the host oil as the carrier and blends with the host oil in the engine or trans or differential or gear box. Actually, this stuff has an amazing cleaning power, and yet is non-toxic. it is in suspension in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back