Simple green for AC coils?

I usually use the spray cans you buy at hardware stores, but I read on simple Green's site they say to use it for AC coils?

Anyone have feedback - suggestions? If yes, what concentration.

Its a 10 year old standard Lennox Central Air unit?

I prefer vinegar in a spray bottle for the evaporator. Then I spray distilled water after the vinegar has sat for a while.

I have also used Simple Green, though I thought it was corrosive to Al. I’ll have to look that up later.

Depends, if you have cleaned it at least once per year, you can just use a solution of dish soap or any soapy cleaner.
If you have not washed it for 10 years, then use stronger cleaner like Simple Green or Nu Calgon Coil cleaner.

Don't recommend coil cleaner on condensers unless their greasy or oilly.
Don't care how much their rinsed there still some that is left. Acid cleaners like Nu calgon shine the aluminum up but it take some of the metal fins off and make them thinner. Wash coils with acid three or four times fins lose most of their strength. Bottle brush style coils low pressure only no nozzle.

Last edited:
Last time I bought coil cleaner at Home Depot, it smelled like glass cleaner (Windex or the foaming stuff in the spray can) so I looked at the MSDS.

Yep.

Same ingredients. Glass cleaner is cheaper.

More concentrated than Windex ?

I usually use the spray cans you buy at hardware stores, but I read on simple Green's site they say to use it for AC coils?

Anyone have feedback - suggestions? If yes, what concentration.

Its a 10 year old standard Lennox Central Air unit?

I just gently rinse mine once a month with plain old water. Simple green will be fine, it's gentle. Last time a tech used cleaner on mine, half the paint was removed off the fins.

I prefer vinegar in a spray bottle for the evaporator. Then I spray distilled water after the vinegar has sat for a while.

I have also used Simple Green, though I thought it was corrosive to Al. I’ll have to look that up later.
I wouldn't use Simple Green on A/C coils. I etched wheels on one of my previous vehicles when I sprayed Simple Green on them. Hvac coils are kind of specialized I'd use a coil cleaner and call it a day.

You have to be careful with Simple Green on some AL. It will cause some pitting and leave stain marks on some... I would not use it...Just get a can of AC coil cleaner and play it safe...

I wouldn't use Simple Green on A/C coils. I etched wheels on one of my previous vehicles when I sprayed Simple Green on them. Hvac coils are kind of specialized I'd use a coil cleaner and call it a day.

Luckily I haven’t done it on any of my newer AC units. I haven’t used it on the two larger units in around five years. No issues so far *fingers crossed*

The Evan never gets too dirty, anyway. The vinegar and then distilled rinse seems to work really well.

You have to be careful with Simple Green on some AL. It will cause some pitting and leave stain marks on some... I would not use it...Just get a can of AC coil cleaner and play it safe...

Thanks for that. I’ll have to research whether vinegar is even safe enough again. IIRC, it was fine when I researched it way back when I started using it. With the short contact time (5-10 min) and then water rinse I’m not too concerned.

When I had my units cleaned in the other house they used water and plain Tide powder laundry detergent. They used a low set pressure washer to both apply and rinse off. It seemed to work just fine.

Back