Silverstar Ultra's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any color coated bulb has to put out less light. To compensate the vender must push its output which tends to kill its life. Extra cost gas additives can put some life back in. This adds less than a cent per bulb. Did you see how much extra they are charging for these bulbs? Draw your own conclusions. GE NightHawk clear bulbs are still the best for the buck unless you can fit in a pair of 9011 and 9012 bulbs which are the best bulbs in the world.

Richard.

I'm very satisfied with my "ST" bulbs in my Frontier...much improvement in distance and color. All the yellow is gone, and I'm illuminating things from further away than before. I'm looking forward to giving the "SU" a try.

I have bought both the ss and now ultra's. My first pair of ss lasted about 9mos . I loved them , really bright. I just purchased the ss ultra from Advance Auto. They are suppose to last 30% longer than the regular ss.
They listed for 48 but they are on sale for 13 dollars off. I really like them , I hope they last longer than the first ss.

Ya gotta LOVE that. Let's see, hmmm..

I built a bulb that's popular, commands a premium price, but, ooops, the design sucks a little, and they burn out too fast..What to do?

I know! I'll fix the design the way it SHOULD have been in the first place, but call it ULTRA! And charge $12.00 more for it!

Brilliant!

Please, guys, tell me you wouldn't pay $48.00 US for these things.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Ya gotta LOVE that. Let's see, hmmm..

I built a bulb that's popular, commands a premium price, but, ooops, the design sucks a little, and they burn out too fast..What to do?

I know! I'll fix the design the way it SHOULD have been in the first place, but call it ULTRA! And charge $12.00 more for it!

Brilliant!

Please, guys, tell me you wouldn't pay $48.00 US for these things.
cheers.gif

I think most of these type bulbs are designed for the ricers, who don't really care about light output, they just want something that looks "cool." For those who want to actually see, as opposed to being seen, there is the Sylvania XtraVision and the GE Nighthawks.

And the real super bulbs; the 9011 and 9012. In EU code vehicles there are H7+30's and H9 blobes on H7 bases. These are the real hot tickets for superior lighting in appropriate headlight fixtures (proper bulb mounst and focus with reasonable cutoff in low beam to reduce glare).

Richard.

I don't really get how Silverstar ST and SU can be lumped into the same group as all those POS blue bulbs I see hanging around Pep Boys and Wal Mart. My experience with STs has been very positive and I'm looking forward to trying out the SUs whenever the need for new bulbs arises. I'm the last one to add something as lame as blue bulbs to my truck in an effort to pretend I have HID lighting, I just wanted great performance and I actually see a marked improvement in visibility down my street, and out in the country at night. I have no real testimonial as to their longevity yet, and I HOPE I get more than 9 months out of them...but I think STs perform very well.

Quote:

I don't really get how Silverstar ST and SU can be lumped into the same group as all those POS blue bulbs I see hanging around Pep Boys and Wal Mart.

They get lumped in with 'em because that's what they are. You don't create the most efficient lighting source by putting a BLUE FILTER on the bulb glass and then overdriving the element to compensate for the REDUCED light output. That's what Silverstars do, and that's why their rated life is very, very short compared to a std halogen. Silverstars are all about the APPEARANCE of a brighter, whiter light at the expense of REAL lighting efficiency.

I would encourage you to try GE Nighthawks the next time you need bulbs.

NB: If you want to actually improve your night vision by using a filtered light, then get a bulb that delivers selective yellow light. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much your depth perception improves, especially in rain and fog.

Well, that's good to know. I guess the bulbs Nissan installs at the factory are ________, as I can see further down my mother's unlighted driveway than I could before....but I will take a look at the Nighthawks when I blow an ST. Thanks for your input.

Sorry, but silverstars SHOULD NOT be thrown in with all those silly geewhiz blue bulbs(worst performing bulbs). Silverstars are extremely bright and they look very clean bright white to me with just barely a hint of blue. With silverstars, I never need to use my high beams. With generic bulbs driving at night, I always look for the opportunity to use high beams.

The only issue with silverstars is that they burn out easily. Hopefully, this is improved with the ultras. Regardless, keep your good generic bulbs with your spare tire. You will need them if you do a lot of night driving and lose a bulb. Don't use the silverstars if changing a headlight bulb is difficult.

Vehicles with inadequate lighting will benefit greatly from any of the improved bulbs.
Hella PIAA Philips Osram Sylvania GE Tungsram Narva Wagner Candlepower...... all make 'levels' of bulbs. IMO, don't automatically jump to the brightest addictive or most expensive bulb. Look for a better bulb that still has a 'life' to it.

If you need more lighting, the odds are that you are driving too fast. Please slow down when you can't see. Every lightbulb thread reminds me about all those highway pileups during '0' visibility driving.

Xtravision are not as bright as silverstars. They do last longer.

Longlife bulbs have about 1-10% less output then standard bulbs. I don't recommend longlife bulbs to anybody.

IMO, Silverstars are overpriced junk. In my experience with them, they added no visible light output. Instead, they simply changed the color of the light from yellowish to a white light. The bulbs lasted less than one year.

Found the following info:

Standard 9006 halogen (low beam): 1000 lumens, 800 hour rated life $6
Sylvania 9006 Xtravision (low beam): 1060 lumens, 300 hour rated life $10
GE 9006 Nighthawk (low beam): 1150 lumens, 250 hour rated life $14
Toshiba HIR 9006 (low beam): 1800 lumens, 800 hour rated life $27
Sylvania 9006 Silverstar (low beam): 910 lumens, 150 hour rated life $20

http://reviews.ebay.com/quot-Xenon-quot-...T:-1:LISTINGS:6

Quote:

Sylvania 9006 Silverstar (low beam): 910 lumens, 150 hour rated life $20

What a bargain! Less light, 1/5 the life, and more expensive.
smirk.gif

Thanks to you guys, I was able to purchase a set of Ultras with the PepBoys & Sllvania rebate offer for $20 Bucks for the pair. I will use these as a spare.

GE Nighrthawks seem hard to find. I have only seen them at some Wal-marts. Even so, I put 9007s in my wife's 98 explorer.

Main reason I replaced the bulbs is that I heard Halogen bulbs get dimmer over time. These were the original bulbs I removed. They were about 9 years old.

Have not been out to see if they are brighter etc.

Man, anyone see the hard press by Sylvania during football yesterday? Commercial after commercial about the Silverstar Ultras.

If they will fit, the 9011 (high beam bulb) and the 9012 (low beam bulb) are truly the only advanced technology bulb out there: Much more light, reasonable life, OEM current draw. But only use them in fixtures that are well focused with a low beam cutoff to prevent glare.

Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back