Silverado starts and dies

Some may remember my thread about my wiring fun (not really) on the 2003 Silverado 2500 I picked up last year. I got all of the "added" wiring out and repaired and as expected I had no lock or window function. I assumed it probably either nuked the BCM, or at the least needed to be reprogrammed. I fixed a few other things on the truck because it would still start, just didn't have creature comforts. Well at some point it would just start, run for 2 seconds, and die. I knew something was up beyond your basic fuel, spark, and compression. Finally gave up and decided to call the local GM dealer to see when I could bring it in. They didn't seem too excited working on it, so I called one of my wholesale customers that I have been working with for a very long time. He said he would let me know when to bring it in, and last night said to drop it off anytime today. The tow truck picked it up this morning, so fingers crossed I didn't do something stupid. FWIW I got the truck for $1500 as a lien sale last year, so its worth it to me to fix it.

IMG_9925.jpg

Installing a remote start system requires cutting the wires to bypass the Passlock sensor in the key cylinder.

If the Passlock signal is disrupted while the engine is running, it will fail safe and disable itself and allow unlimited starting-- until the battery is disconnected. Then you will have the start for 2 seconds until it is repaired.

Installing a remote start system requires cutting the wires to bypass the Passlock sensor in the key cylinder.

If the Passlock signal is disrupted while the engine is running, it will fail safe and disable itself and allow unlimited starting-- until the battery is disconnected. Then you will have the start for 2 seconds until it is repaired.
What is weird on my truck is there theft light does not stay on like every other Youtube video shows.

just for a different angle, try disconnecting the MAF to see if it will run longer than 2 seconds. Usually on a GM if the MAF fails it will run for 1 second at best before shutting off, but you never know.

It comes on for about 2 seconds. All of the examples I have seen of a VATS (I think that is what GM calls it) the reset procedure has the light on for around 10 minutes.
A component failure may or may not flash the theft light. Light flashing for 10 minutes and going out occurs when the BCM receives a signal from the passlock sensor that is different than the learned voltage but is inside the correct voltage range

IF DTC P1626 is current in the PCM, The engine will start for a couple seconds & die. Next step would be to see if communication with the BCM is possible.

No update yet. This shop is really busy, but they did assure me that it didn't fix itself on the tow truck drive over, so I lost that spot on our pool.

Update this morning. There is a bunch of damage on the harness from the ignition switch from the bad install. The harness is obsolete from GM so they are calling LKQ for a junkyard column. There is also no communication to the BCM which might get fixed with repaired wiring, or might need a new BCM. Kind of what I expected.

Parts should be in Wednesday. I told them that if it was under $1500 all in to just do it and if got over that call me first. I think one of the wiring repairs I did didn't take. I was trying out those solder seal connectors and on one of them the solder didn't fully melt. Either way, I was over working on it for that problem and its worth it to me to have a second set of trained eyes diagnose the problem.

just for a different angle, try disconnecting the MAF to see if it will run longer than 2 seconds. Usually on a GM if the MAF fails it will run for 1 second at best before shutting off, but you never know.
THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT!! You beat me to it. I've done this several times to rule out a bad MAF.

They got the parts in and said that the column looked like it has been in a yard for a while, but they would pick and choose the best parts off of the existing one and the new one. Also good news, the harness on the yard column only had 1 vampire tap as opposed to mine that had multiple.

The shop is always super busy, and the owner had Thursday and Friday off for Yom Kippur. They actually joked that at one point this week they had a car from a parts person at every dealer in town except one, so either we all trust them or they just will work on any s-box that comes in the door.

They got the module and wiring/column in. The programming will happen tomorrow and then we will know if it needs the PDM (Passenger Door Module) also. I actually got one and left it in the center console so if they need it they can take care of it right away.

Now once I get it back I just have to drive it a bunch to get all the monitors to set so it can pass smog.

So another update: harness and BCM are in and everything works, except the power windows. I forgot that when the truck was mobile I would have to go back and forth on the switch a bunch to get the window to do anything. They are looking at if it is a DDM/PDM issue or a door wiring issue before getting it back to me.

So funny story with the shop: I have been selling parts to the owner for my whole time at my current job. He is one of a very small amount of customers that has my cell number and am friends with on FB. The service writer is one of my idiot (I say that with love) friends who I have known even longer, so I feel totally good with the truck there. The owner joked that a bigger discount or a gift card to the local Italian restaurant would help grease the wheels. The next day I had my driver drop off cards for him and my friend, while doing other deliveries, with a note that I would either get a third for the tech, or pay some of his tool truck tab.

Back