Silverado oil filter - Relief valve pressure ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stocked up on the old PF48 filters that I could find once they went to the e-core filters but I'm running low. So going forward I might have to go with another filter.

I was looking at the specs of all the other filters (Wix, Purolator, etc) and the Delco's relief valve psi is 18-24 PSI where all the others are in the 8 to 12 range. Is it better to have a lower or higher PSI on the relief valve?

By going with a filter with a lower relief valve setting, is there a better chance of getting a cold start tick (more so in winter vs summer)?

Overall, is it better to have a higher PSI or lower PSI on a bypass valve.

This is for a 2008 Silverado w/ 5.3L.

In my experience, cold start ticks (when related to a filter) are usually ADBV related, I'm not sure that filter bypass PSI would make a huge difference-the cold oil is still going to get through the filter somehow.

Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock
I stocked up on the old PF48 filters that I could find once they went to the e-core filters but I'm running low. So going forward I might have to go with another filter.

I was looking at the specs of all the other filters (Wix, Purolator, etc) and the Delco's relief valve psi is 18-24 PSI where all the others are in the 8 to 12 range. Is it better to have a lower or higher PSI on the relief valve?

By going with a filter with a lower relief valve setting, is there a better chance of getting a cold start tick (more so in winter vs summer)?

Where are you getting your info on the pf48? Here is what I found

PF48 Product
Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.45"
Gasket O.D. 2.76"
Gasket Thickness .19"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 3.33"
Product I.D. 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Product O.D. 3"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 9-12

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3598037/Have_to_eat_crow

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Where are you getting your info on the pf48? Here is what I found

PF48 Product
Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.45"
Gasket O.D. 2.76"
Gasket Thickness .19"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 3.33"
Product I.D. 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Product O.D. 3"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 9-12

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3598037/Have_to_eat_crow

Oops. I thought I was looking at the non e-core but it was the e-core specs. The e-core shows 18-24. Is that right?

Why would the non e-core be 9-12 but the e-core version be 18-24?

Also, are the new e-cores better than the first e-cores? I always read to stay away from them.

Have you seen the threads here on the new e-core? If you get the latest version there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to read all of them.

If the new e-core's are better, what was the reasoning to go from 9-12 psi on the relief valve on the PF48 to 18-24 on the e-core's? Just curious if anybody knows why.

Something is telling me to stay with a filter that has a relief valve setting closer to what the PF48 was.

So this engine doesn't have a filter bypass valve in the engine block anymore?

Filter bypass valves built into the filter might not all have the same exact pressure settings because the setting also depends on the filter's flow performance characteristics and expected max delta-p. Plus keep in mind that these days one filter is designed to fit maybe a 100 different engines. The bypass valve is more about protecting the filter from damage due to high delta-p than anything else.

In other words, if you looked at 10 different filter brands, all specified for your engine, they will have varying bypass valve settings.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In my experience, cold start ticks (when related to a filter) are usually ADBV related, I'm not sure that filter bypass PSI would make a huge difference-the cold oil is still going to get through the filter somehow.

Cold tick complaints on the (5.3 motor) Silverado boards are a common complaint. It doesn't seem to matter which filter is used. On my truck the Mobil One Oil seems to help.....some. I just put on a Fram Ultra for the first time to do a second oil change with this filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Cold tick complaints on the (5.3 motor) Silverado boards are a common complaint. It doesn't seem to matter which filter is used. On my truck the Mobil One Oil seems to help.....some. I just put on a Fram Ultra for the first time to do a second oil change with this filter.

I know all engines are different and like different oils, etc but let me know how you like the Fram Ultra. I was thinking about trying that one.

My truck hated Mobil One. It seems to like Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower the best.

Not that it's any help, but I have read a lot about oil filter bypass pressure settings and nobody, not even some real experts, knows why they vary so much or even if the numbers provided are reasonably accurate. The best explanation I have read indicates that some companies that give a single number, say 8, are referring to when the bypass just starts to crack open, while others that give a range, say 8-12, are noting that it cracks at 8 but becomes fully open at 12. That makes sense to me. Also, it would seem to me that the much higher bypass setting would be reducing oil pressure in the engine, wouldn't it? If somehow there was a 10psi differential in the filter and the media holds together doesn't that mean 10psi less oil pressure in the engine?

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Not that it's any help, but I have read a lot about oil filter bypass pressure settings and nobody, not even some real experts, knows why they vary so much or even if the numbers provided are reasonably accurate. The best explanation I have read indicates that some companies that give a single number, say 8, are referring to when the bypass just starts to crack open, while others that give a range, say 8-12, are noting that it cracks at 8 but becomes fully open at 12. That makes sense to me. Also, it would seem to me that the much higher bypass setting would be reducing oil pressure in the engine, wouldn't it? If somehow there was a 10psi differential in the filter and the media holds together doesn't that mean 10psi less oil pressure in the engine?
No-the bearings, galleries, lifters/followers, everything PAST the filter is a bigger restriction than the filter. The only exception would be an extremely worn, high mileage engine that has worn out bearings (especially cam & rod bearings) that lose excessive oil & resulting pressure out the sides & back into the sump. I have (or service) 3 gas engines that are VERY touchy with filters, mostly ADBVs-my 4.0 Jeep, my 4.6 Grand Marquis, & my brother's ancient '87 Tercel 1.5 3E beater-they all have horizontally mounted filters that seem to murder nitrile ADBVs-but they all LOVE Ultras, CQ Blues, & even S Motorcrafts (as long as the media doesn't tear).

Quote:
No-the bearings, galleries, lifters/followers, everything PAST the filter is a bigger restriction than the filter.

Sure, but a 10psi drop across the filter means that there is 10psi less being delivered to the engine in the first place. Here's a quote from here.
Quote:
A plugged oil filter can be yet another cause of low oil pressure. When the oil leaves the pump, it passes through the filter before going on to the bearings and oil galleys. All filters create a certain amount of resistance to flow that increases with the rate of flow. But the amount is not much, typically only a couple of pounds. But as the filter becomes clogged with debris, the restriction created increases. Eventually the point may be reached where no oil will pass through the filter element. So to prevent such a blockage, a pressure relief valve located in the filter or where the filter mounts to the block is designed to open if the pressure differential across the filter exceeds a preset value (typically 5 to 40 psi). This allows the oil to bypass the filter and keep on flowing. But the engine's oil pressure will be reduced to that of the bypass valve. Replacing the plugged filter will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Also, it would seem to me that the much higher bypass setting would be reducing oil pressure in the engine, wouldn't it? If somehow there was a 10psi differential in the filter and the media holds together doesn't that mean 10psi less oil pressure in the engine?

The filter's bypass valve setting has nothing to do with the operation of the oil pump's pressure relief valve setting. The filter's bypass valve setting is primarily to protect the oil filter from damage if the delta-p gets to a certain level. The delta-p of 10 psi in your example will still be there regardless if the filter's bypass valve is opened to keep the delta-p at the 10 psis max or not.

With a positive displacement oil pump (key factor in this discussion), the 'oil pressure' you see on the sensor (which is most likely mounted after the oil filter) will remain the same UNLESS the oil pump goes in to pressure relief mode. The 'oil pressure' you see going into the engine is a direct indication of the oil volume (at a constant viscosity point) going through the engine. Of course, oil viscosity effects oil pressure too, so you have to look at the pressure at a constant viscosity point to correlate oil flow volume to oil pressure through a constant restriction (ie, the engine).

Once the oil pump goes in to pressure relief mode, then the oiling system become a 'pressure fed source' instead of a 'volume fed source'. The only time a very restrictive oil filter can cut down oil pressure is when the oil pump hits pressure relief - usually at very high engine RPM. A more restrictive oil filter also reduced the 'headroom' (due to its delta-p) between the oil pump's outlet pressure and the oil pump's pressure relief setting. In other words, if an oil filter was very restrictive, it could cause the oil pump to hit pressure relief much easier, and therefore would cause loss of oil volume (and oil pressure) to the engine at higher RPMs. That wouldn't be good for a race car, which would spend a lot of time at very high RPM.

Quote:
No-the bearings, galleries, lifters/followers, everything PAST the filter is a bigger restriction than the filter.

Sure, but a 10psi drop across the filter means that there is 10psi less being delivered to the engine in the first place. Here's a quote from here.

From the linked article:
"A plugged oil filter can be yet another cause of low oil pressure. When the oil leaves the pump, it passes through the filter before going on to the bearings and oil galleys. All filters create a certain amount of resistance to flow that increases with the rate of flow. But the amount is not much, typically only a couple of pounds. But as the filter becomes clogged with debris, the restriction created increases. Eventually the point may be reached where no oil will pass through the filter element. So to prevent such a blockage, a pressure relief valve located in the filter or where the filter mounts to the block is designed to open if the pressure differential across the filter exceeds a preset value (typically 5 to 40 psi). This allows the oil to bypass the filter and keep on flowing. But the engine's oil pressure will be reduced to that of the bypass valve. Replacing the plugged filter will solve the problem."

As explained above, the part in red can only occurs IF the oil pump is in pressure relief - usually take very high engine RPM. If the oil pump is not in pressure relief, then ALL the volume coming out of the pump still goes through the engine, and you will see the same exact oil pressure .. even if the filter is bypassing dirty oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back